Please ID, looks like a little cactus

Reaction score
Hi All

Please ID this little Cactus, and is it safe?
Algea.JPG

Algea.JPG

Last edited:
looks like a filter feeder of sorts. doubt if it will harm anything.

Wow, never seen anything like that!
Definitely a type of filter feeder, but have no idea...

I did some reading last night about your misterious cactus, & it seems to be a type of macro algae that is ofter found on newly cured liverock.
Unfortunately, it is almost always eaten by snails, hermits & fish before if can grow out.
I couldnt find any name for it though... Will see if i can find a name today

Fuzzy tip algae, Neomeris annulata. As it grows the upper half will turn a lot more green and the bottom half will turn white, it will also lose most of the fuzzyness as it gets bigger, cool little things, but can suck up calcium if it multiplies too much. I had a few of these sprout up in my tank, pretty cool looking things, got to about 3 to 4 cm's long, but they slowly died out on their own. Will see if I can find some old pics of mine.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of mine after it had been growing for a while.

14baa604881a0f.jpg

+1 for Neomeris. Occasionally see it in local rockpools...though apparently not when you're looking for it. :p

I think this brings up another conversation, How many different types of Macro algea are there, and how many of them will we be able to grow in our aquariums?

Thousands out there...though a lot of coldwater. Probably a good few hundreds species can be grown in our tanks, though most will be quickly mowed down by herbivores. You'll be surprised how many species pop out of fresh LR if you put it into a well-lit tank without fish or hermits.

I wonder, you think they can be fragged or grown some how?
Not sure if they can be fragged, mine just multiplied on their own, keep your main parameters in check, once it starts multiplying it will use up the calcium, especially if it's in a small tank.

Back
Top Bottom