Play sand

I paid R38 a month or 2 ago

I paid R45 at Newlands Garden Center. Difference is that the bad was heavier than a cement bag.

not pure white, but definitly not brown.

And even if the bag say its washed. It is not, wash it like 150 times, and on last wash, thereafter rinse it in RO water (if you want)

Rather get playsand at some garden centers, You will pay the same for one bag as at reggies or whatever toy shop. Difference is that the garden center bag is like 5 reggies bags - or more. Once bought a bag and had it loaded in my car boot. I could not lift it out. Too heavy. Had to open the bag in the boot and start emptying it from there.

lol so what youre saying is not to buy it from a garden center unless you have a mini crane? ;)

ok so
1) doesnt matter what brand of play sand i get.. they will all wash out to be quite white (not as good as aragonite but what the hell play sand is dirt cheap ;)) ?

2) play sand will have no negative effects?

3) does anyone have a pic of their system with play sand in the DT?

There you go
10944c0bf62e27be8.jpg

10944c0cac1c2c7fc.jpg

I bought some last week from builders, R 26.98 per 10KG bag.

ok so
1) doesnt matter what brand of play sand i get.. they will all wash out to be quite white (not as good as aragonite but what the hell play sand is dirt cheap ;)) ?

2) play sand will have no negative effects?

3) does anyone have a pic of their system with play sand in the DT?
Hy Buddy, ja i used the same regies play sand in my first and second tank in the DT and the DSB. Works great.

Now my 3rd tank has crouched coral in. also looks great.
Beats the price of R700 for a bag a aregonite.

41594f3acd30d2764.jpg

Washing the play sand with normal tap water.
My first tank.
Rinse sand with RO about twice before adding to tank

41594f3acd30ce8e5.jpg

DT of my first tank with like 6KG of LR, haha.
Reggies as substrate

41594f3acd30caa67.jpg

DT of my first tank

41594f3acd30c547a.jpg

Sump of my second tank.
DSB - Reggies

41594f3acd30be745.jpg

DT of my second tank.
Reggies. Just dident have the correct amount. Added more later.

41594f3ace43efbf5.jpg

And this is how my DT looks now.
Everything very happy.
Most of my stock list in this setup comes from my first setup that was running with reggies in DT and as DSB for about a year and a half.
Now all Live stock in the second setup and still going well.
So ja, i dont see a problem with reggies.
Ala cheapo, but it works.

My 14 year old thread :lol: I would avoid play sand and any sugar fine aragonite for the display

I had play sand in my display for about 3 or 4 years. With no Ill effect. It just makes mountains in some places. But for fish only you don't need a lot of flow

I had play sand in my display for about 3 or 4 years. With no Ill effect. It just makes mountains in some places. But for fish only you don't need a lot of flow
Perfect thanks ... the cost of filling up a 1.8 meter pond with aragonite is hectic. Having just moved to a new place with hobbies taking a back seat , I hsve yo save whenever I can.

How deep should I make the sandbed ?

Nope, not even after having that sand in my DSB for over 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom