Pistol shrimps

Dorry

dorry
Reaction score
I would like to add 2 pistol shrimps in one in each tank. The one tank pipe fish in coral goby, lemon goby, clowns and ornamental crab and shrimps. The other tank also a few small fish and cleaner shrimps and goby's. any one that can tell me more about pistal shrimps and how big do they get, reef save with small fish, different specie you get.:)

eh... as far as i know a pistol shrimp hits about as hard as a .22 (discovery channel)..
maybe get some proper advice before it breaks u're fingers or even the glass... killkanga

i have two pistol shrimps. before i added them to the tank they snapped their claws at each other. after i introduced them to the tank they have been adopted by my watchman gobies and i see but dont hear them.

Hi,

I have a pistol shrimp with my dragonface pipefish, pom pom crab,dancing shrimp,fireshrimp,emerald crab and clowns in a nano with the cheapy 2 foot tanks, not sure how thick maybe 4mill

Helps with the sand stirring, heard LFS say that its bad but they not

no problems

I would like to add 2 pistol shrimps in one in each tank. The one tank pipe fish in coral goby, lemon goby, clowns and ornamental crab and shrimps. The other tank also a few small fish and cleaner shrimps and goby's. any one that can tell me more about pistal shrimps and how big do they get, reef save with small fish, different specie you get.:)

where are u getting pistol shrimps from

i have two pistol shrimps. before i added them to the tank they snapped their claws at each other. after i introduced them to the tank they have been adopted by my watchman gobies and i see but don't hear them.

thanks, there is so many story's about them and still some keep them in there tanks for ax sample. thats why i try to find out what is true and what is myths.:)

Where can I get a pistol shrimp because I haven't seen one at a LFS before

Hi,

I have a pistol shrimp with my dragonface pipefish, pom pom crab,dancing shrimp,fireshrimp,emerald crab and clowns in a nano with the cheapy 2 foot tanks, not sure how thick maybe 4mill

Helps with the sand stirring, heard LFS say that its bad but they not

no problems

Kingfish how long do you have pistol shrimp. and the one you have ( species ) and what is the shrimp adult size. sorry for all the questions i just want to make certain i make the wright choice.:lol:

i have two pistol shrimps. before i added them to the tank they snapped their claws at each other. after i introduced them to the tank they have been adopted by my watchman gobies and i see but dont hear them.

Mandarinman, how big is your tank and do both pistol shrimps stay with your gobies. how big are your other fish. the one tank of mine is 10mm and the other tank 12mm. do you know of any case that a tank has been shatterd due pistol shrimps. once my mind is made up, then some one els put me in doubt.:blush:now what to believe.:whistling:

pistol shrimps use the snapping sound to frighten enemies and i havent even heard one snap since they are in the tank. note that pistol shrimps are virtually blind and arent really predatory. it seems the gobies share the two shrimps. my tank is 1.2m standard tank uploadfromtaptalk1368731234509.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1368731234509.jpg

eh... as far as i know a pistol shrimp hits about as hard as a .22 (discovery channel)..
maybe get some proper advice before it breaks u're fingers or even the glass... killkanga

@Gary Roebuck, i think you're talking about peacock matis shrimps. Pistol shrimps are about 5cm long & has claws about the size of a popcorn... Dont think something that small can hit as hard as a .22, lol.

@Dorry, you can also talk to @Mc, he has had his pistol shrimp for quite a long time now...
They are generally considered reef safe & they are more scavengers than predators, so unless you have juvenile clownfish of neon gobies, i wont be too worried about them.
They are considered as "easy to keep" & normally keeps to them selfs, digging tunnels & keeping their goby company...

Last edited by a moderator:
@Gary Roebuck, i think you're talking about peacock matis shrimps. Pistol shrimps are about 5cm long & has claws about the size of a popcorn... Dont think something that small can hit as hard as a .22, lol.

@Dorry, you can also talk to @Mc, he has had his pistol shrimp for quite a long time now...
They are generally considered reef safe & they are more scavengers than predators, so unless you have juvenile clownfish of neon gobies, i wont be too worried about them.
They are considered as "easy to keep" & normally keeps to them selfs, digging tunnels & keeping their goby company...

Thanks Visser, :biggrin: pistol shrimps here i come.:biggrin:

pistol shrimps use the snapping sound to frighten enemies and i havent even heard one snap since they are in the tank. note that pistol shrimps are virtually blind and arent really predatory. it seems the gobies share the two shrimps. my tank is 1.2m standard tank uploadfromtaptalk1368731234509.jpg

Thanks manderinman, :thumbup: :biggrin:you and Visser persuade me.

Hi Dorry which one. i think u looking for the small one that becomes "buds" with the yellow watchman gobby.

images (1).jpg

images.jpg

Back
Top Bottom