Pistol shrimp and goby

459b

Reaction score
A pistol shrimp arrived on a piece of live rock and has done a rather good job of digging burrows under and around my liverock. I have not been able to catch it and unpacking liverock to get it is not an option.
I have a good layer of substrate in my tank and made sure that i put all liverock on the glass, not ontop of the substrate, incase something did decide to did under it.
I dont particulalry want the pistol shrimp in my tank but dont think i will be able to remove it. So i am considering getting a goby and making the shrimp/goby interaction a feature of my tank.
Would this be a good idea or one that i will end in regret? My main concern is that they dont pair up and endeing up with the goby digging another burrow soemwhere else in my tank.

nice idea, a yellow head/sleeper goby will pair up with it nicely

If I was you I would get it out, may be cute now, but in 5 months it will eat your fish and other shrimp. Use the 500ml coke bottle trap, starve the tank and put the trap half in the sand where it burrows, last time I caught them out, I found bloodworm and artemia was the best.

how big is he?

it all boils down to temprament, some have had no issues at all. if u unsure u can sump or give him away, or try with a sleeper goby and provide anuff food for him to not hunt

last night i realised i may have more than one pistol shrimp. Tried to catch it again, but had no success.

Will try the coke bottle method this weekend.

lol, and here i am dying to get one, well i must have the only LR with no hitchhikers

i had one crawling in my sump, ill go check if i still have it and will be more than happy to ship it your way

cool! can swop them for corals

this is the one from my sump, its around 3cm long. Ill try get the one(s) out my tank as well.

shrimp.jpg

keep him and get a yellow watchman goby
but like all things they can be aggro to smaller shrimps and sometimes fish

but if well fed i think would be interesting

Back
Top Bottom