Phytoplankton cultures/ media / equipment

Yesterday and today it was confirmed that I am culturing pure Nanochloropsis algae and Brachionus rotundiformis rotifer (It is a small strain. I have only seen them at reed maricultire. They are well established.

The above mentioned f/2 can be produced locally, but I promise you that it will cost you quite a bit. A laboratory will only produce this for us if we sold 100 3 part formula's at R110 each. That is without transport.

The are willing to produce it as a liquid.

order the f/2 from skattejag. Far less hassle :)!!

Cant wait to receive my kg :D

Last edited:
For more info on constructing phytoplankton/ zooplankton culture stations (Batch culture) see:
The Breeder's Net: Culturing Larval Fish Foods, Part I Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog (Note: Online Suppliers, Additional Reading and the Reference sections)

References taken from aforementioned link:
DIY Culture Station (By Dwayne Sapp): DIY Culture Station - ReefKeeping.com

How to Rear a Plankton Menagerie (By Shawn Carlson: How to Rear a Plankton Menagerie: Scientific American

For more info on constructing phytoplankton/ zooplankton culture stations (Continuous culture system) see:

Cultivation of Marine Unicellular Algae (By I, Laing) (pp. 20-23): http://www.cefas.co.uk/publications/lableaflets/lableaflet67.pdf

I have not tested/completed the continuous culture design that I've been working on yet. At the moment it's still experimental. So I cannot make a how-to-guide at the moment, but I welcome anyone to play around with the design and report their experiences. There are other designs/systems available on the internet, as well.

See my batch culture station below.

20130819_010331.jpg

Last edited:
@ express reef:
The large pvc structure you see in my image has the sole purpose of reducing the chance of spill and in turn, contamination of the cultures.

I will also tell you that my culture station is not my own design. I derived the idea from dwayne sapp on the Internet.

It was not cheap to build, but I must give its functionality credit.

With the above said I will gladly create such a thread; especially due to the fact that you can not find the equal cross pvc couplings in Sa. They are make shift:).

Hi guys, Been a while since I've posted. I know the marine research aquarium in seapoint has some pure culture of phyto, but I hear they have attitude and didn't get a good vibe the last time I went to get some.

Do any members that live in CT have pure Nanno or any other Phyto cultures for me ? I don't mind paying R100/ petri.

Wanting to start producing Phyto in constant amounts.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom