Permission to use photos?

Broder

Mudshark
Reaction score
Recently Mekaeel pointed out to me that Santa Monica (the ATS dude) has been posting tons of pictures, mine included, all over the internet. I personally don't mind, but got to thinking that it would have been nice if he would have asked, as the pictures that he used weren't all posted on his thread. I mean look at Jacques, he asks all of the time, just in case he ever wants to use a pic for the magazine.

So what is the legal position? Does everything that we post on a public forum become public domain? What do you guys think? Should we ask first, to be polite, or am I splitting hairs?

he should have ask if he want to use some one else's work. as for legal position i think if you post on a open forums it's free for all.

I think he is overseas so you probably haven't got a hope in hell.

I suggest contact him and ask him to either delete or put your mark on the shots - nothing wrong with having your name/achievement boasted about expecially by a t/p on your behalf??

Mudshark, go and ask him on that link that I gave you, how could he use it without permission.

yeah once its out in the open its free for all, but askin would be nice. if he was pumping your pics out for his own benefit or putting words in your mouth i wouldn't personally allow it, but if he's putting the word about your tank out there..
Posted via Mobile Device

Difficult one this, legally I don't think it's worth it especially if he's in a different country, common courtesy dictates that it's just downright rude to do what he is doing, and if it was me I would probably be quite pee'd off.

He is not banned from MASA so you can still send him a PM if you want, or I will be more than happy to contact him.

Difficult one this, legally I don't think it's worth it especially if he's in a different country, common courtesy dictates that it's just downright rude to do what he is doing, and if it was me I would probably be quite pee'd off.

He is not banned from MASA so you can still send him a PM if you want, or I will be more than happy to contact him.
Thanks Viper. I'm starting to see that the general feeling is that it would be polite to aknowledge material that we use off the net that hasn't been copywritten, but we no longer have ownership over anything once posted on a forum. I don't want to take it up with Santa Monica as it won't serve any purpose, but thanks for the offer to intervene.

but we no longer have ownership over anything once posted on a forum.
In a sense yes but we do have "All content Copyright © 2007-2009 MarineAquariumSA.com" at the bottom of the page, but as you say, it's more to do with being polite and asking before you use other peoples images/content.

thats just nasty, it is common decency to ask first especially if its for something you are going to be punting, i see it as both a good form of exposure for those who have gone with the ATS design being acknowledged and a cheek for not asking so that those could also have agreed that they be associated with what is going on. i would say you have the right to comment on the thread concerned where questions are being asked about your pictures and your particular design of scrubber, he does seem a little "voor op die wa though"

Sorry guys, but even if it is an open forum, you still retain the copyright. If you can produce the original works / copies / prints then nobody can claim rights to your works. On a forum like this, it would have to specifically agreed upon (in the license agreement) that the forum has rights to the images, no member will ever have these rights.

I went into this in detail when I used to produce music and in South Africa you own the rights to the works no matter what if you have the originals.

This guy should be forced to take the images down, or credit you with the image.

I would also suggest setting up a signature brush in photoshop or your application of choice and watermark, tag your images.

Just one more point, look how much sh#t Facebook is in at the moment for using user images in adds, and it was in there agreement.

Hmmmm.... it seems we do have rights then Ross? What would constitute an original image?

If you took the image in RAW, you would still have that file, you will also still have the original size file, as I am sure you would have resized for the web. Would be difficult to get the original size from a web sized image and it would probably not have all the EXIF data.

Sure all this could be done, but it is not easy.........

Now saying you have rights, yes you do but what you can do about it, I am not sure.

When you look at the hardcore photographers, they know trying to keep a pic posted on the net "copyrighted" just ain't going to happen.

Watermarks are probably your only way of tagging your pic.

Check this out:

2441774316_9f13ab5409_b.jpg

Waldo tags all his pics.

Be interesting to know his take on this ??

Not cool Mudshark!! Have you spoken to him yet?
Nice pic Warr!

Back
Top Bottom