Painting acrylic?

Reaction score
Hey all,

I would like to paint an acrylic sheet that I have in my tank that is acting as my overflow - what "paint" could I use that is "reef-friendly" and will also last?

I know that I could wait for coralline algae to do the job for me but I can't see that happening any time soon.

Looking for black if possible.

Shot.

I should have actually Google'd before I posted but I've found that the following might work... Krylon Fusion paint. Do we get the stuff in SA? And if so, does anybody know where?

From this site!

i personally wouldent go with paint, i woulod suggest vynil, it can be applied inside the tank on the back pane of acrylic, it will tear if cleaned vivirously with a blade etc but it if treated with care it will last many years,,

paints and plastics are tricky, as often elastic additives are needed to allow for the flex stresses plastics can undergo due to changes in temperatures, but with some effort im sure it can be done..

my vote = vynil its approx R25 pm

Thanks @Leslie.

I would have easily gone vynil if the acrylic sheet wasn't completely submerged in my tank from day 1. Can vynil still be used under water? If so then we have a winner :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Leslie.

I would have easily gone vynil if the acrylic sheet wasn't completely submerged in my tank from day 1. Can vynil still be used under water? If so then we have a winner :)

I thought it was a new tank :) vynil can be used submerged but obviously needs to be adhered well and in dry conditions to a clean surface, i actually have a friend that has an overflow box glued to it on recomendation from the vynil supplier and to date (3 years later) it has not come loose...

if you are going to be putting something into an already running tank go for ABS sheeting, its cheap aswell being only around R65 per 1.800mm x .650mm sheet

Vinyl won't work as the saltwater will make it deteriorate quickly, I know prints on vinyl need a type of over-laminate when being put on a boat etc else they won't last.

Best and probably the cheapest most pain free bet would be to remake to overflow cover out of coloured acrylic.

At my work our guys spray acrylic with normal paint, they just prep it first by sanding it with fine paper, I wouldn't know if the paint is safe for fish, judging from the gas masks they wear I would say its a bit toxic and not a great idea lol.

Vinyl won't work as the saltwater will make it deteriorate quickly, I know prints on vinyl need a type of over-laminate when being put on a boat etc else they won't last.

Best and probably the cheapest most pain free bet would be to remake to overflow cover out of coloured acrylic.

At my work our guys spray acrylic with normal paint, they just prep it first by sanding it with fine paper, I wouldn't know if the paint is safe for fish, judging from the gas masks they wear I would say its a bit toxic and not a great idea lol.

most paints once properly cured are inert, and can be used safely in salt water but its determining the point of safety thats just not worth the risk

as for vynil, i disagree with your statement, having seen it work 1st hand ;)

And ABS/Foam PVC is toxic so don't touch that stuff. Only acrylic is safe to use in tanks.

ABS? PVC? safe but again always try go for food grade, some products are petrolium composites and they will be toxic, with new legislation most toxic products are being nullified from the market in an effort to go "GREEN"

Foams i can understand... but i have seen these used aswell to recreate rock structures..
in general, it comes down to how long the item has been allowed to cure.. and residues of toxins (if any) are alowed to wash off...

Vinyl may work but I wouldn't go that route as you are potentially putting a pile of glue into ur water, but also if you have had success with it the glues etc may have no effect on livestock so it might be fine. Thing is its only going to last 3-5yrs in perfect conditions so acrylic is a more permanent solution.

I'm just of the habit of not putting anything into my tank that doesn't belong there. Any material that has the potential to leech anything into the water should generally be avoided, but again that's my view.

ABS? PVC? safe but again always try go for food grade, some products are petrolium composites and they will be toxic, with new legislation most toxic products are being nullified from the market in an effort to go "GREEN"

PVC is just bad in general: Greenpeace International PVC Alternatives Database

The only 'Green' materials being used would be aluminium due to it being 100% recyclable, then materials such as Xanita & Reboard, which are 100% sustainable. Other than that there really are no 'green' products on the market. There's those corn based plastics etc but I don't think that they are available in high volumes to make them commercially viable at the moment.

Vinyl may work but I wouldn't go that route as you are potentially putting a pile of glue into ur water, but also if you have had success with it the glues etc may have no effect on livestock so it might be fine. Thing is its only going to last 3-5yrs in perfect conditions so acrylic is a more permanent solution.

I'm just of the habit of not putting anything into my tank that doesn't belong there. Any material that has the potential to leech anything into the water should generally be avoided, but again that's my view.

there is always a risk of failure with any product, i can only convey what i have experienced, i have seen it work first hand and hence my suggestion of it as an option to consider here, incedently the guy i know used sunlight soap to stick the vynil to the back inner glass washed it off well and sealed with a seam of silicone to secure.. as i said so far soo good;)

PVC is just bad in general: Greenpeace International PVC Alternatives Database

The only 'Green' materials being used would be aluminium due to it being 100% recyclable, then materials such as Xanita & Reboard, which are 100% sustainable. Other than that there really are no 'green' products on the market. There's those corn based plastics etc but I don't think that they are available in high volumes to make them commercially viable at the moment.

agreed but sticking to topic, pvc used for water supply is acceptable (food grade) and agreed that there are no 100% green products (even aluminium as i would argue glass is more closer to being ruled a better candidate if not for the formation process) but it depends how technical you want to get..

for the purpose of this excersise its way off topic..

I thought it was a new tank :)

Sorry, I should have said that it would have been an option if the acrylic wasn't going to be completely submerged from day 1 so it is a new tank... the acrylic hasn't even been glued in yet..

Thanks gents for the help anyhow - I've ordered a can of Krylon Fusion Paint from the agents in SA. +- R200 incl. courier to my door from JHB.

Back
Top Bottom