overflow plumbing need advise.

Reaction score
I'm going 120g from my standard 75g DT. i'm a bit concern with my overflow plumbing design, i need advise from our DIY gurus here.

Tank size : 48"x30"x24" 10mm thk GLASS drilled with 2-50mm dia overflow hole at the back (Rimless if possible with 10mm thk.)

Front View
14614b7bb41bd39eb.jpg

Back view
14614b7bb3e6bb3a1.jpg

50mm Overflow and 12mm return pipe
14614b7bb442eeb7f.jpg

Durso style plumbing design..

Plumbing underneath to follow as plan progress..

All comments will be appreciated..

Thank you in advance.

Why do you have overflow boxes if the dursos are external. Why dont you just reverse the elbows and it will still skim the surface

Jip those boxes, at the bottom will be a place to collect a lot of detritus. There will be no flow down there.

Turn elbows facing up, with no boxes. More space in the tank. Good idea Keyaam.

Or else go for a coast to coast, or long thin overflow box. No elbow inside. Wide as you want it and only about 100mm high. 10mm deep.

if you turn that elbow to face up it will do 2 things ...... one it will IMO look shit in the DT and secondly and most importanly it will be very noisy, the durso effect will be lost..... i tried this on a frag tank and SWAMBO went mad with the constant sound of a toilet flushing !!!

Agree it is a waste of real estate though, suggest you still have an overflow box, c2c or as you have it, but it doesnt need to extend to the base, extending it to the base is only required when your plumbing is inside the tank

I disagree Neil. My tanks overflow was done this way and looks way better than an unsightly overflow box. Its extremely quiet

I disagree Neil. My tanks overflow was done this way and looks way better than an unsightly overflow box. Its extremely quiet

Cool, its just my experience, my main DT runs completely silent, the only thing I changed in the frag setup was the elbow pointing up..... and it was like a toilet... maybe there is something i could have tried differently, in the end i put a ball valve in the overflow pipe which reduced the noise to tolarable levels ????

i should have added perhaps that IMO a box blends in better only if you have a black background and use a black box ...

Thnx

Thats the good thing i posted here before drilling the tank.. My existing 75gal used a diy overflow box with 3-12mm dia. u-tube. I experienced one of the u-tube lost siphon, water raised 1/2" below the tank rim, luckyly there is a stand-by overflow-pipe i really made in-case theres a lost of siphon in my main overflow and it saved me on many things.. Theres no one left at home everyday, so i should have a tank with hole, worry-free.

Heres my existing overflow. (u-tube is now 3 pipe for additional water flow)
14614b7c9035c516b.jpg

i know many of you have different experiences and i appreciated all the inputs.

Should i need to remove the box inside and make the elbow face up?
I like the Durso style but i don't want the drilling on the bottom glass. what to do?

do u want it this way?
14614b7c9a66a6f6e.jpg

14614b7c9aa754553.jpg

Main reason why putting a box inside:
IMO to prevent anything to block the way of the down pipe
Easy manage in case of pipe leak repair/replacement
No need to crash the tank, just lower the water 1/4" below the box rim and you are ready for any repair.

Sorry for the hijack but what desighning program are u guys using there?

Thnx Pads.. I think its the same concept with what i want but i don't want my oveflow box to be outside the tank and i want the 2 boxes both end.
i can see that the elbow inside the box set downward. don't u have problem with this? lemme know pls..

Thnx Pads.. I think its the same concept with what i want but i don't want my oveflow box to be outside the tank and i want the 2 boxes both end.
i can see that the elbow inside the box set downward. don't u have problem with this? lemme know pls..

No problems, I set it right at the bottom of the box, that way any detritus and muck from the overflow is more likely to get sucked up. I agree that the box on the outside is not ideal but this way I don't loose any space on the inside, especially by two boxes rather than one. You should do two C2C overflows in the corners but rather attach them to the back pane than the back and sides. Thus its slim and you get the required surface skim area without the trouble of elbows turned up or down.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom