Overflow and plumbing

Reaction score
Hey guys, im getting my uncle to build a tank for me but i just need some help with the design... I want a 4ft DT and 3ft sump.. I want a lil corner overflow but im not too sure about how the plumbing connects to the DT (i know peanuts about plumbing:whistling:)...

I want to add a fuge later on so I was thinking of like a splitter tap thing on the line to the sump... Also Im not sure how the water level in the sump is controlled? Adjust the return pump? Please help guys :) ... I want a TS2 skimmer, DSB and then the return chamber in the sump :thumbup:

Tremayn - why don't you get your uncle to rather add you a Coast-to-Coast overflow (a thin piece of glass the runs the length of the tank in the rear (this can also act as brace) with one outlet pipe that goes to the sump?

Here's a pic of mine when I started the tank.
17284b964512a3ae6.jpg

Hello Manic,what is the distance between the 2 glass pieces that forms the skinny overflow.

Treyman you will have better results if you put a ball valve on both the inlet to the sump and the outlet from the return npump this way you can ballance the two nicely. Also use nothing less than 35mm inside dia on the inlet so that when you build your refuge or anything else you dont have flow issues.

Trev

you use a bulkhead aka tank connector to connect the plumbing to the tank. Water level in the sump depends on each compartments baffle, but the level in the last compartment depends on how much you fill the tank, this is also where you will see how much evaporation you have.

hey guys... the overflow just has a hole on the bottom of the tank and that has a pipe goin to the sump yes? Oh yes and I also saw 1 of the guys had the inlet pipe into a bucket and the skimmer fed from this... does anyone know about this? it seemed like a good idea

so you just use a filter sock on the inlet pipe? but doesn't that work like filter wool?

Hi Tremayn - the overflow pipe can have a bulkhead hole anywhere you want - as long as it does not weaken the glass to much. Mine is at the bottom of the tank - some people prefer having it in the rear glass pane.....

Back
Top Bottom