our setup

Reaction score
20534b0189b06b437.jpg
20534b0189b07cd63.jpg

Hi David / Barbs - How much and what are you feeding, how often?
Also - what are you using to top up the tank with? (RO Water? - I only see a 2 stage freshwater system, which does not include reverse osmosis), or just fresh water from the tap?

Also - what are you using to top up the tank with? (RO Water? - I only see a 2 stage freshwater system, which does not include reverse osmosis), or just fresh water from the tap?

Hi J - glad someone found my pics..:) they going to ban me from this forum just now if my pics keep going astray or ending up where they should'nt !
I feed them pellets, flakes, nori seaweed cut up and 1 block brine or mysis shrimp.
They get this in the morning only. Then once a week I chop up any fresh fish I have i.e. hake/squid/prawn and I give that to the fish and independently to the shrimps and anemones.
Regarding the system... mmmm... in blonde language - the water comes in from the connected pipes and through that RO system on the left. We put a huge container (about 150/200 litres) next to the equipment and pipe it to that. Then we add the salt and leave to stand for 24/48 hours. Okay - that's for the water changes.
Oh gosh, will have to get hubby to explain any other to me.... all I know is that it tops up one of those tanks in the bottom as and when necessary (again through that RO unit) - I think that water goes straight into the tank where the Kalkwasser thingie is. Yes, it does and there is a automatic switch thingie which somehow knows when it needs topping up. I do nothing except empty the protein skimmers and feed fish and clean glass - ha ha - it's a double sided view tank so its a HASSLE to try reach the opposite side of the glass to clean it (why do they make these glass blade cleaners only for people with long arms?) ha ha
Can't wait to go to the East Coast Club meetings... boy do I have a lot of questions, even though the tank is doing just fine, I know it can look much better.

Hi Barbs - ok - here is the reason why I asked:

I see a lot of nuisance green hair algae in the tank (GHA). This can lead to a huge outbreak - meaning that it can take over the WHOLE tank.

I would want to suggest the following:
1) take a sample of the topup water you are using to a Local Fish Shop/Pet shop (or perhaps to the reef club meeting), and let someone test the TDS of the water for you (TDS = total dissolved solids)
2) also - have someone please test the nitrates and phosphates in the water (the "RO" water - filtered fresh water)...
3) Just a FYI: that is not a full RO (Reverse Osmosis) filtration system - it is a pre-filter system, consisting only of a sediment filter, and an activated carbon filter.... no reverse osmosis membrane there... neither de-ionizing material....
4) I would want to suggest cutting back HUGELY on your feeding for now - believe me - fish eat a WHOLE LOT LESS in nature..... you really don't need to feed this much.
You can start off by cutting the amount you feed in half.
Secondly, start feeding only once every 2 days - I know this will be hard, because the fish will look really hungry to you - but this will help them get accustomed to less food, less often...
You can leave the meaty "treats" for once a week - over the weekends.... Also cut the amount of meaty foods you feed......

Over a period of time, when you do this, the nuisance green hair algae will be reduced and later on dissapear....

Good luck....

Howzit Jacques, sorry but take another look at the RO machine. There certainly is an RO membrane filter on the top. That unit will give excellent water quality, even without a resin filter.

Hi Barbs, cool tank.

Howzit Jacques, sorry but take another look at the RO machine. There certainly is an RO membrane filter on the top. That unit will give excellent water quality, even without a resin filter.

Hi Barbs, cool tank.
yeah i think you are right andrew, although barbs, getting a TDS on the water is a very good idea :)

thats a lovely looking tank and so nice to see a sump with decent space above it to work in:)

Your tank looks good - can you give us a few shots from different angles perhaps?
Just to comment on the feeding.
Do you thaw the frozen brine and mysis shrimp in RO and rince before feeding?? If you defrost the food in the tank than it can also lead to nuisance algae.

Lovely setup, what are the dimensions?

I agree with Jacques, too much food going into the tank, i would definately cut back !

Out of interest how long have ou had the sun coral and are you target feeing it?

Hi Barbs - ok - here is the reason why I asked:

I see a lot of nuisance green hair algae in the tank (GHA). This can lead to a huge outbreak - meaning that it can take over the WHOLE tank.

I would want to suggest the following:
1) take a sample of the topup water you are using to a Local Fish Shop/Pet shop (or perhaps to the reef club meeting), and let someone test the TDS of the water for you (TDS = total dissolved solids)
2) also - have someone please test the nitrates and phosphates in the water (the "RO" water - filtered fresh water)...
3) Just a FYI: that is not a full RO (Reverse Osmosis) filtration system - it is a pre-filter system, consisting only of a sediment filter, and an activated carbon filter.... no reverse osmosis membrane there... neither de-ionizing material....
4) I would want to suggest cutting back HUGELY on your feeding for now - believe me - fish eat a WHOLE LOT LESS in nature..... you really don't need to feed this much.
You can start off by cutting the amount you feed in half.
Secondly, start feeding only once every 2 days - I know this will be hard, because the fish will look really hungry to you - but this will help them get accustomed to less food, less often...
You can leave the meaty "treats" for once a week - over the weekends.... Also cut the amount of meaty foods you feed......

Over a period of time, when you do this, the nuisance green hair algae will be reduced and later on dissapear....

Good luck....
Hi J - gee thanks for all that. What I DO need is to get the camera repaired as the cell camera has given misconceptions.... I have NO nuisance algae :) The sides of the tank we have just never bothered to clean (it was given to us like that), and actually, even with a blade it's hard to scrape the stuff off. It's just green/discoloured but not hairy or anything. (shame, even the tangs try, thus the Nori feeding).
My nitrate/nitrite/ph/salinity all fine (I actually test too often and need not to worry so much). Calcium is high... over 500 but I read that it's nothing to be overly concerned about. I just think everyone else has a better looking tank and maybe it's just their lighting or possibly their rock formations... would like a 'fundi' to come visit my house and give us their input possibly. Hopefully I will meet just this person at the EC Club, when we are advised on the next meeting :)

Lovely setup, what are the dimensions?

I agree with Jacques, too much food going into the tank, i would definately cut back !

Out of interest how long have ou had the sun coral and are you target feeing it?
Hi Neil.... thanks. 1.9 x 800.... it holds 1200 litres.
Sun coral? What's that? ha ha - describe it to me coz I am still trying to find out the names of everything in my tank .... no I don't feed the corals and the owner prior to me has had them for ages and they seem fine.. ? Was putting some phytoplankton in the water on the advice of my pet shop but that bottle is now finished.
Barbs

Your tank looks good - can you give us a few shots from different angles perhaps?
Just to comment on the feeding.
Do you thaw the frozen brine and mysis shrimp in RO and rince before feeding?? If you defrost the food in the tank than it can also lead to nuisance algae.
Hi T - I defrost in a little bit of tank water and don't rinse. PS - I don't have nuisance algae - that's just green stuff that has stained the tank but it's not hairy.. suppose it's some time of algae but it's very hard to scrape off, even with a blade, so I just leave it (looks kuk though hey?)
Have some other shots but cell camera is useless, and being a double sided view tank, I am picking up a lot of reflection to get a decent pic. Will try upload some (that's another story). Do u belong to the EC club? When do u think next meet will be? Ta - Barbs

Hi Barbs, cool tank.

Sorry Barbs / David / Andrew - you are indeed correct. I missed that section.

BUT, I would still check the TDS of your RO water, though. Just to make sure that the water coming out is not the source of the nuisance green hair algae.

yeah i think you are right andrew, although barbs, getting a TDS on the water is a very good idea :)

thats a lovely looking tank and so nice to see a sump with decent space above it to work in:)
Ta Crispin! I just call them 'tanks' underneath the tank.... ha ha - thought u only got sumps on cars :)
That's why I posted the pics.. so that when I have a problem I can say 'the tank on the left with the protein skimmer' or 'the tank in the middle with the small protein skimmer' or 'the tank on the right with the calcium thingie' etc etc.
That's how blondes talk, right?? :) Okay guys... before u say another word I promise by this time next year I will be literate with all abbreviations, equipment, etc.
Barbs

Not bad! Nice to see an awesome sump setup like yours. So much room to move and must say its VERY neat!

I love your sailfin desjardini tang! They beautiful fish!

Tx Deon :) I think it's SO untidy! We have not enclosed it with the doors yet coz we were still busy moving stuff around, adding the RO thingie etc, but I can't wait to hide all that stuff behind doors!
Sailfin - he can be very boisterous - like the Rabbitfish and the Tangs, especially feeding times. Other fish have to fight for their share.

Back
Top Bottom