Orca nitra guard bio cubes discussion

With cubes you just add them and enjoy your tank...no daily dosing required. If I can steal a quote from DallasG..."like a Fire and Forget missile"

If your PO4 is at oppm, I would recommend NGBC Titanium or maybe a smart bomb blend of the 2

Hey @KillerWhale, so after fighting with my tank and the nitrate's I finally got some NGBC Titanium as my P04 is non-existent. Quick question though can you overdose with the biocubes? I have a 130 litre tank and i got the 250g tub, can i use all of the biocubes?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use all 250ml. Its less than 2ml per litre, so depending on NO3 levels, you should be fine.
If you have very high NO3, you might experience a bit of cloudiness as there is bound to be a biomass increase, which will not do any harm as long as flow and oxygenation are kept at full capacity.

I have been using the cubes now for just over a month and my PO4 is 0.00 as per my hanna checker.
What I want to know is when does it get to a point where it generates food for SPS?

I have been using the cubes now for just over a month and my PO4 is 0.00 as per my hanna checker.
What I want to know is when does it get to a point where it generates food for SPS?

the goal/objective of the cubes has never been food production, its a by-product of the biological action, most will get skimmed out and whats left can end up as food, but i would rely on it as a food source

Last edited:
I apologize if my question has already been addressed on previous pages in this thread, but I really don't feel like going through all the posts...

I recently shut my 4ft tank down where I had been using biocubes in a reactor with great success. I was thinking for my next build, I could use the same reactor but change the normal flow pump to a skimmer pump (Sicce psk1000). My thinking is that it would improve the cubes performance?

Any thoughts on this?

I apologize if my question has already been addressed on previous pages in this thread, but I really don't feel like going through all the posts...

I recently shut my 4ft tank down where I had been using biocubes in a reactor with great success. I was thinking for my next build, I could use the same reactor but change the normal flow pump to a skimmer pump (Sicce psk1000). My thinking is that it would improve the cubes performance?

Any thoughts on this?

the bubbles will be too fine and fast, thus dislodging the mulm to quickly, making the efficiency of the cubes less

Theoretically no! unlike pellets that will erode due to the micro-abrasion caused in the reactors, Nitra-Guard only erodes with bacterial action and for that you will need NO3. However, installing too much is simply a waste of money. With any problem, including NO3, economics must be considered. Use what you need and after that take the cash and buy more corals and fish. This is not a cheap hobby!

@KillerWhale and dallasg
is the bio cubes suppose to give off a smell almost like ammonia. I have it in a bag on one of my overflow pipes. should I put it bag I rinsed it off in RO water

Last edited by a moderator:
Please elaborate on the way you have it installed. When you say ammonia, do you not mean sulphur perhaps?

Please elaborate on the way you have it installed. When you say ammonia, do you not mean sulphur perhaps?
you might be right but it smells like sewerage.
i had the cubes install in a zeo recator on my old tank with the airline and stone connected. inmy new tank it installed to the inlet of my one sump.

is it cubes that was in the old reactor, just moved over?
Then the smell indicates that the yeast died out, or most of it.

Why do you not use the recommended bomb method?

is it cubes that was in the old reactor, just moved over?
Then the smell indicates that the yeast died out, or most of it.
no it means the water/media went anaerobic

Your overflow seems like the flow around and thru the cubes is to slow and the biological action is consuming O2 faster than its replaced in the surrounding water thus stagnating the cubes, just follow the instructions

OK, not familiar with Orca cubes. Just know that if something smell like ammonia, its normally dead.

But yes, why not follow the instructions. Tried and tested and it works.

assumptions are bad for reefing

i placed the cubes in RO water when i shut my old take down to keep it wet. i dont have space to put the reactor in my sump and i read that there is guys placing the cubes in their overflows so i thought i could try it this way

Your overflow seems like the flow around and thru the cubes is to slow and the biological action is consuming O2 faster than its replaced in the surrounding water thus stagnating the cubes, just follow the instructions
Thanks dallasg ill try to put the reactor back in the sump

Just run it via the bomb method.

i placed the cubes in RO water when i shut my old take down to keep it wet.
For how long did you store it in the RO water.

Back
Top Bottom