Orca nitra guard bio cubes discussion

In the test i see no mention of a Skimmer? does this not need a skimmer to work?

Did not bother to go into the whole removal of the microbiota, as I thought it was getting a bit looong and I (safely?) assumed that the vast majority of hobbyists employ skimmers.

Also, I believe a skimmer is not a prerequisite for the cubes to function, as the biomass ejected make awesome coral food. In essence, enough polyps in the water and enough flow........

Excellent write up and testing.

Will you be doing a similar test with the new Titanium cubes when they are available to compare the differences?
I know @dallasg is busy with tests on the new TITANIUM. I know Reefbuilder's.com in the US is also going to be doing a tst and giving it reviews

Last edited by a moderator:
I have already made contact with FBI Witness Protection Program, I'll have them pick you up right after they pick me up

No, no, no, Fringe Division.:lol:

They must just leave my trees alone.....

I know @dallasg is busy with tests on the new TITANIUM. I know Reefbuilder's.com in the US is also going to be doing a tst and giving it reviews

Would love to see their reviews. Must add that it was great to see it is finally getting out there.

As a fairly lazy aquarist i am happy to see a product developed that will hot have me tinkering for hours to obtain perfect or near perfect water values ... i do realise that a certain amount of maintenance will be needed to keep the system in check but im positive that i will rest a little easier after using this product...

i think its time to give them a go...

great article and awsome contribution..

Orca Nitra - Bio Cubes - Proudly South African :)

Awesome writeup

Just one question,not sure if i speed read past it,but what does your cubes look like in colour once they been established in your tank?

iknw you said they clumped up but did they turn brown or blackish or remain in same colour?

Awesome writeup

Just one question,not sure if i speed read past it,but what does your cubes look like in colour once they been established in your tank?

iknw you said they clumped up but did they turn brown or blackish or remain in same colour?

it vaires, but expect them to start darkening, i have found that the darker they go, means you need a little more oxygenated water through them

Excellent write up @irie ivan ,,, thank you very much

A quick question,,, I'm going to be starting up my tank pretty soon, and just wanted to find out, at what stage of the startup can I add the cubes? Right form the start when the bacteria is introduced, or only after the initial cycle? I'll be using redsea's reef startup program to boot up the tank....

Once again, thanks for such a excellent write up!!!

you can start it from the beginning, that way you levels wont start high :)

Just one question,not sure if i speed read past it,but what does your cubes look like in colour once they been established in your tank? iknw you said they clumped up but did they turn brown or blackish or remain in same colour?

No, you misread. What clumped up was the GFH (Phosphaguard), which is what had me contacting the company and receiving awesome support and service. Which is in a manner of speaking, was the starting point in me deciding to do the write up.

To answer your question: The colour varies, dependant on the age of the cubes and as you will see from a pic on the other bio cube thread, cubes can look like little psychadellic feta blocks.

Mine has gone completely black, with a thick biofilm.
Some days, it is actually one thick mat (like my hair:
2150698dfae9380.jpg
) and I get concerned about enough water flowing through it. I then shake it off in sump and within a minute, acroporids go massive in terms of polyp expansion. I have not had any ill effect (i.e. no3 rising) if I have not shaken the biomass off for many weeks.
Lately, I am running half of my vubes on a 4hour on - off cycle, which seems to keep them cleaner.

Was having a discussion with the developer about this, with some really interesting points being raised in terms of biomass expulsion / ejection automatically occurring from the media, as well as the "nutritional value" thereof.

No, that is not a pic of my hair.... still a few years to go...

Back
Top Bottom