Opinion needed: My DIY LED - Have I done it right?

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I recently designed a LED panel for my pico reef i'm setting up.

The light looks like this:

3E0gKrP.png

What do you guys think? Have i done it right?

Last edited:
i would drop 2 UV as for a pico thats overkill
rather at 2 x 10k
or 1 x 10k and 1 royal blue

Personally I would be happier with a couple more 10k whites in there.

Hmmm, seems I may have made a few mistakes with this light :/ and I've already made it (Curse only finding this forum now).

Will this light still be effective enough to grow some mushrooms, zoas etc or have i made something unusable?

wE0OsrG.jpg

Last edited:
not only is it capable for softies but you could get sps to grow:)

great build

Any pics over the tank filled with water and some rock, would also help with choosing the right color spectrum you want.

I know the first color to fade is blue when hitting the water

Yes sorry, will my hangover be a valid excuse?

its red, blue penetrates the deepest :)

From what I read recently it seems that Blue is the most effective for coral growth as it penetrates to levels where the coral is usually found in nature. More effective than white even.

So does that mean you should have a higher compliment of blue compared to other colors or should there be a balance between all colors.

Maybe someone has a guideline, for example:

LED spread should be:
50% Blue
40% white
5% red
5% green

From what I read recently it seems that Blue is the most effective for coral growth as it penetrates to levels where the coral is usually found in nature. More effective than white even.

So does that mean you should have a higher compliment of blue compared to other colors or should there be a balance between all colors.

Maybe someone has a guideline, for example:

LED spread should be:
50% Blue
40% white
5% red
5% green

remember we as reefers influence how the light looks for our own viewing, too blue and we get better colouring but doesnt appeal to us, to much yellow, better growth but water looks like pee, its about finding a balance

remember we as reefers influence how the light looks for our own viewing, too blue and we get better colouring but doesnt appeal to us, to much yellow, better growth but water looks like pee, its about finding a balance

Sure, but a balance like I have shown of Blue and White (the dominant colors) should be pretty ok .... no ?

Chl_a_b_carotenoids_absorption-spectrum.jpg

The trend lately is a ratio of 2:1 Blue/White.

So, two blues for every white.
The UV range is also very important, from 390nm to 420nm.
Cyan at 490nm is also quite beneficial.

I would forgo red and orange, they don't penetrate very far into the water and your whites should provide enough of the lower end of the spectrum anyway.

Nice build.

Back
Top Bottom