open source DIY controller

Reaction score
Hey Guys.

I have been inspired by NSteyn's link on the DIY controller to start a project for a DIY controller. At first I'd like to start with a basic reading/reporting controller:

1. temp
2. pH
3. Saliinity

I think this can be done pretty cheaply and could be a lot of fun. I am a programmer by profession so I am happy to work on it with others on the forum. I have experience programming PIC micros and LCDs (built a tachometer for my RC helicopter).

p.s. just as an indicator of pricing. A pretty decent pic micro will set you back R30, a 16X2 LCD about R60, LM35 temp sensor about R20. So as a start thats a digital Temp display for just over R100 - then you can add circuits for pH, salinity, etc. of course here you would only pay incremental components as the micro and LCD will stay the same for all the additions.

Any ideas, other parties interested?

Cheers
Jason

Last edited:
Hi Jason,

I'm a programmer in the Linux world.
I'm very interested in your project.

I can help with a web front and database design.
Please keep me in the loop: lean[dot]cornelius[at]gmail[dot]com

Cheers,
Lean

Awesome guys! lets start and see how it goes. Initially I am going to start building the temp sensor part. I want to be able to control an output line based on the temp. I dont have a chiller on my 1000L but I do have a nice big scrubber. I am hoping to add some fans in the next couple of days but I only want the fans to run if/when the temperature breaks a certain threshold. I will most likely use PIC micros as I have used them before and I have a PIC programmer. I will put circuit diagrams and code here:

http://code.google.com/p/aquacontroller/

If anyone would also like to work on the project - just mail me and I can give you access to the code.

p.s. dont expect any timelines/deadlines as I do work, have 2 wife and 2 kids, and maintain a fish tank and koi poind (ouch)

cheers
Jason

Awesome guys! lets start and see how it goes. Initially I am going to start building the temp sensor part. I want to be able to control an output line based on the temp. I dont have a chiller on my 1000L but I do have a nice big scrubber. I am hoping to add some fans in the next couple of days but I only want the fans to run if/when the temperature breaks a certain threshold. I will most likely use PIC micros as I have used them before and I have a PIC programmer. I will put circuit diagrams and code here:

If anyone would also like to work on the project - just mail me and I can give you access to the code.

p.s. dont expect any timelines/deadlines as I do work, have a wife and 2 kids, and maintain a fish tank and koi poind (ouch)

cheers
Jason

p.s. dont expect any timelines/deadlines as I do work, have a wife and 2 kids, and maintain a fish tank and koi poind (ouch)

cheers
Jason

Great stuff!

I don't know jack about the controller parts. How will you log your data?
Can you connect to a database? If so, I would love to help and implement the database. Then we can get things cooking!

Cheers,
Lean

cheers
Jason

dude give me your email plz, id like to swing some ideas past you:)

hey bud

i built i controller for myself a while back and am currently in building version 2. I'm an electronic engineer by profession and so have a fair amount of experience with programming and electronic design. I'm more than willing to share my stuff.

danimal,

that would be AWESOME.

maybe you could add what you've done to this thread?

Sentari, cool link.

ps. my email addy is jason(d0t)penton(at)gmail.com

Cheers
Jason
hey bud

i built i controller for myself a while back and am currently in building version 2. I'm an electronic engineer by profession and so have a fair amount of experience with programming and electronic design. I'm more than willing to share my stuff.

hey,
i am a software engineer and web developer, more than willing to help
got skills in delphi, visual studio, c++ and many others....

i can look at a WPF frontend with all the bells and whistles etc

dallas.goldswain(at)gmail.com

here is the schematic:

21254cecbf5ee85f5.jpg

it's a pretty simple design, and flexible in terms of function. a real time clock (the ds1307) keeps track of everything and two temp sensors (LM35 - not shown, they link to the ADC port) give me sump and DT temps. on a separate pcb i can control all my pumps and lights using relays and opto-isolators. PWM drives a high-power LED circuit (CREE XR-Es) which gives me a dimmable option for sunrise/sunset effects.

i dont have copies of the other two pcbs at work with me (power isolation and LED power supply), i will get them tonight. I'll also take pics of version one so you can get an idea.

my code i will have to neaten up a lot (i'm very sloppy, lol!) and i will be happy to post it.

arduinos I have never played with, but AFAIK they are pretty cool for people with little programming/electronic knowledge.

VERY NICE danimal!!!!!! I see you use Atmel. You obv. prefer that to PICs?

thanks. ya, when i was at varsity we got them for free, so never really got into PICs. I did use them once or twice for small projects but I guess you stick to what you know... hehe. these days I have a contact who supplies me with samples for atmel, so it's all good :p

Danimal, Im not sure how you feel but I think we should work off of yours. So if you want you are welcome to take over ownership of the google code domain. That way we can work on and extend yours. Maybe by adding electrical conductivity for sailinity, etc???

p.s. I am happy to learn atmel ;)

Back
Top Bottom