Nsw + Smw

Reaction score
Hello fishmate,

Is it OK to mix Natural Sea Water (NSW) to the existing tank that using Salt Mix Water (SWM)?

Hi Phyrannus are you changing over to nsw, if so you can. I would just do it slowly and not all at once, I would try and do this over a priod of a week or so as the parameters of your water and nsw may not be the same, one last question is where are you getting the nsw from? If collecting it yourself make sure you collect from a clean area and not from the front of the ocean but about a meter or so deep.

Morning Phyrannus you getting your NSW from "Under the Sea" ;) I think Pete is correct as long as it is from a clean area not near sewage or too many people playing in the water your NSW could be mixed with SWM - just dont do too many changes to a stable system! Try and keep the temperature and salinity the same and this shouldn't be too shocking for your tankmates:thumbup: But lets see what the others say

The easiest and safest way to do this, just start doing your water changes with NSW. When collecting NSW please use with in a couple of hours of collecting.

The easiest and safest way to do this, just start doing your water changes with NSW. When collecting NSW please use with in a couple of hours of collecting.
allan can you expand on this thought a little for us? I was planning on using NSW tp full my tank and get it cycled and then convert over to mixed salt. would i need to use the NSW within the same day or could i collect and store it for a while?

Im storing my salt water for up to a month, just keep it in dark containers, cool place and dont use the last bit of water. I had no ill effect. I use 2 ocean water and have some po4 problems. Wil start doing water changes with salt later this year

Crispy it is because of the die off. For starting off a tank it should be fine, but remember the water you will use will be very cold and you will put it in a tank that you will be running at a higher temp and will need to cycle first. There are different bacteria for different temps. What is the temp of the sea water by you.

Crispy it is because of the die off. For starting off a tank it should be fine, but remember the water you will use will be very cold and you will put it in a tank that you will be running at a higher temp and will need to cycle first. There are different bacteria for different temps. What is the temp of the sea water by you.
shaun at the moment the temp is around 2 inches on my personal body thermometer which isnt much. But by the time i plan to draw the water it should be around 16-19 degrees. Is there really that much die off in NSW? i am surprised and having never used it, curious :)

i want to cycle with it simply to save the salt a little, expensive stuff here! :(

Thanks everyone. I'm partly done with my Sump project under my FOWLR tank...now i'm planning to put some corals when the tank is stable running with the sump. Currently im using Saltmix and RO.DI water...but i heard it's more convenient to use NSW. (well i will make it sure it's a good NSW)
Another question.. is it OK to store NSW over a month?

Phyrannus - I only use NSW... have never used salt mix.....
BUT, my experience is as follows:
- I go to the 2 Oceans public aquarium to collect/fetch water.... I fill up 7 x 25 litre drums for the month..
- Usually, when I go an fetch the water, I do not NEED it immediately at that time...
- So, I put the drums in my garage, waiting to need to use them.
- my skimmer removes +-25 litres of water a week from my tank (if I don't skim TOO wet), say between 25 litres and 50 litres... I then replace this water which the skimmer removes, over the weekends..
- up to now, I have never really experienced any major issues with the water....
I have a +-870 litre total water volume.... so, 25 litres on this does not have a MAJOR impact....

Why? I collect during the week, then use some on the weekend and the rest a week after that. Been doing it like that for the last 2 years.

allan can you expand on this thought a little for us? I was planning on using NSW tp full my tank and get it cycled and then convert over to mixed salt. would i need to use the NSW within the same day or could i collect and store it for a while?
Remember NSW is full of life and that life ends up dying in the container, so if you want the added benefit of adding a bit of microscopic life to your system then use it as soon as possible. If the life in the water starts to die off then that water is going to start to cycle and generally becomes cloudy but will clear again after the cycle is complete the general rule of thumb is about 2 weeks after collection. This also depends on the time of year and where collected as life in the water volume will differ.
When you store your water do it in sealed containers in a cool/shaded area.

Remember NSW is full of life and that life ends up dying in the container, so if you want the added benefit of adding a bit of microscopic life to your system then use it as soon as possible. If the life in the water starts to die off then that water is going to start to cycle and generally becomes cloudy but will clear again after the cycle is complete the general rule of thumb is about 2 weeks after collection. This also depends on the time of year and where collected as life in the water volume will differ.
When you store your water do it in sealed containers in a cool/shaded area.

IMO alan has a point... the life within the seawater may die-off if just simply storing stagnant in a container. What about putting an air pump? well i don't know either i'm no expert with NSW.:)

Question About the Top-off water? should i still use the RO water without salt? or it is also the NSW that need to use?

Question About the Top-off water? should i still use the RO water without salt? or it is also the NSW that need to use?
Still plain RO water to be used for top ups.

Hopeful

Well i'm just hoping that there will be no big effect to my existing tank once i started this water conversion. We all know that the hardest thing in SALTWATER hobby is to make our tank stable.;)

Tnx mates.

Please advise:

If one adds the NSW to your tank fresh and you collected water from somewhere like Cape Town where the water is cooler than the tropics, will the cooler water micro organisms not die off once added to a warmer water and add to phosphate and nitrate levels in a stable system. (ie those organisms in the NSW that are not eaten by one's corals)? I dont expect that this would add to drastic parameter changes but algae growth may be promoted?

Would doing more frequent, smaller water changes with NSW, say 5% per week, be more beneficial? (I know that it is beneficial to do this with any water change regime however its not always easy to get the time so i usually do around 10% every 2 weeks)

What effects have members experienced on thier parameters from doing a say 20% water change with NSW from cooler waters?

Where does NSW from cooler waters (ie Cape Town) fall short ito necessary elements?

Thanks guys!

Fischer

Any threads that will answer this question?

I would like to collect water from Hangklip Coolbay area ( around the corner from Gordons Bay). Any one know if this water will be ok?

Thanks

Please advise:

If one adds the NSW to your tank fresh and you collected water from somewhere like Cape Town where the water is cooler than the tropics, will the cooler water micro organisms not die off once added to a warmer water and add to phosphate and nitrate levels in a stable system. (ie those organisms in the NSW that are not eaten by one's corals)? I dont expect that this would add to drastic parameter changes but algae growth may be promoted?

Would doing more frequent, smaller water changes with NSW, say 5% per week, be more beneficial? (I know that it is beneficial to do this with any water change regime however its not always easy to get the time so i usually do around 10% every 2 weeks)

What effects have members experienced on thier parameters from doing a say 20% water change with NSW from cooler waters?

Where does NSW from cooler waters (ie Cape Town) fall short ito necessary elements?

Thanks guys!

Fischer

Tagging along with this one....:1:

Back
Top Bottom