NP Reducing Pellets Bacterial Bloom

Manic

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I finally started with the NP pellets on friday. I'm running 1L of the media in a reef octopus phosphate reactor in a 550L tank. So the expected has happened, I have a huge bacterial bloom. My water is cloudy and my skimmer is going mad, almost spraying water out the cup. I've read about this happening on the overseas forums, has anyone else experienced the same. According to other forums, the bacterial bloom only lasts a few days.

i read up about that happenin on intro to a new system.
anything else that has changed since adding it?

Can u run carbon whilst using the NP pellets?

I'm running carbon as well. I run carbon all the time though and replace it every 4 weeks. The only thing I have noticed is the rapid decrease in nitrates. I was running the NeoZeo method and my nitrates were always zero. In order to give the NP pellets a chance to show some results, I stoped the NeoZeo method two weeks ago to let my nitrates go up. On friday my nitrates were at 5, this morning they are undetectable again.

any negative side effects on corals or fish ? i would definitely increase aeration as all the oxygen is being eaten up

did you measure your nitrates and phosphates before you put it in how long from when you put it in to the bloom? These are still fairly new treatments and it is still hotly debated so you need to pay close attention to it

Last edited:
so even with the carbon,water still cloudy....damnit.

eagerly awaiting the feedback form the "NP testers",so I can take the plunge

Last edited:
so even with the carbon,water still cloudy....damnit.

eagerly awaiting the feedback form the "NP testers",so I can take the plunge

I'm one of the testers :). The cloudy water is due to all the bacteria. I think wait a while till you take the plunge, there isn't much information on the product just yet.

did you measure your nitrates and phosphates before you put it in how long from when you put it in to the bloom? These are still fairly new treatments and it is still hotly debated so you need to pay close attention to it

The bloom started this morning, so it would be 4 days after starting the NP pellets. I'm not worried about it, all the people on the overseas forums have experienced the same. Apparently it only lasts a day or two.

spot on......
one of my customers experianced the same............tank is clear now:yeahdude:
however he used 500ml in 500 litres of water

Last edited:
I am running my skimmer, it is working over time to skim out the bacteria. I've got a spare skimmer pump just to add oxygen to the water.
ok,so now we expect a regular update on any changes:thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom