novice

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am Michael Pitcher. Am new to the site as of about 10 minutes ago. Just started cycling a new 55-gallon tank about a week ago. Would like to turn into a reef tank in a month or more when I can get my hands on some live rock. Plan on purchasing the live rock from Tampa Bay saltwater (It has been recommended to me, but what do you all know of this place?)

Also I plan on adding an under tank refugium and sump. And this is where I have many questions. I have 2 extra 10-gallon tanks which I will be turning into the refugium and sump. My plan for them is to overflow the water into both the refugium and sump (hoping to control the flow into the refugium, thinking of about a 25-75 split.) The refugium will be placed on a shelf above the sump in order to overflow the water from refugium into the pump part of the sump. However I need ideas for what overflows to use as far as gph and so on... Also not totally sure what pump to get (the main tank is roughly 3.5-4 feet above where the pump will eventually be placed.) Any ideas?

Thanks for any help and look forward to hearing from everyone!

Hey there emptyPitcher :welcometomasa2: to MASA - glad you can join us - sounds like a very interesting setup you got planned there! I dont see any problems as its how most of our setups run! Try to start introducing your liverock as soon as possible but do it in slow doses with everything as most of live by this slogan : Only bad things happen fast in marines - As for your pump you need to look for something with a head height of about 2 meters should be more than sufficient - what about other equipment - skimmer - internal flow pumps - heater - lights ... ask here first before buying anything - your order of purchase should go like this - ask us first - then do a little shopping around - double check with us - then make your final purchase - remember we got nothing to gain except to have a happy fellow reefer added to our huge MASA family - OH remember this hobby requires tons of patience so just stick to it and you will enjoy it!

welcome to masa, your setup will work, i would go for a much larger return pump and just fix a tap onto the pipe so that you can control your water lever, something like a 5000lph or higher, and why not make the refugium run into the sump, so you place the refugium above the sump also with an overflow that goes into the sump and then the return from the sump, and then you just get an external skimmer, get the best and biggest skimmer you can find, look in the clasified section or ask some of the reefersmif they kn ow of someone selling a decent skimmer, that is the most important part of the hobby. welcome , take it easy take it slow and ask watever you like, im sure the guys on masa will help where they can

Hello and Welcome to MASA

Welcome to MASA!!

wELCOME TO MASA

:welcome6:
Hello everyone.

I am Michael Pitcher. Am new to the site as of about 10 minutes ago. Just started cycling a new 55-gallon tank about a week ago. Would like to turn into a reef tank in a month or more when I can get my hands on some live rock. Plan on purchasing the live rock from Tampa Bay saltwater (It has been recommended to me, but what do you all know of this place?)

Also I plan on adding an under tank refugium and sump. And this is where I have many questions. I have 2 extra 10-gallon tanks which I will be turning into the refugium and sump. My plan for them is to overflow the water into both the refugium and sump (hoping to control the flow into the refugium, thinking of about a 25-75 split.) The refugium will be placed on a shelf above the sump in order to overflow the water from refugium into the pump part of the sump. However I need ideas for what overflows to use as far as gph and so on... Also not totally sure what pump to get (the main tank is roughly 3.5-4 feet above where the pump will eventually be placed.) Any ideas?

Thanks for any help and look forward to hearing from everyone!

that sounds great, a nice return pump of 3000L should be fine, i have a similar setup, you dont want to much flow thru the refuge, just make enough room in the sump to cater for when the pump stops that the overflow drainage from the refuge wont spill over on to your floor, else it sounds great
got pics and a list of equipment

hi michael, welcome to masa. its great to hear that you want to full that pitcher with salt water, but theres løots to learn and plan before you do. MASA is a great place to learn all of it :)

as i understand it you are stillø planninga sump and refeg? its not actually running yet? if not i woukld look at getting this in as soon as you can, before starting to cycle and put live rock in. that way you can plan righht from the start and i assure you thats much easier than to empty a tank, drill and add a sump.

i would sugest putting some drawings together and try post them on here so that MASA can help you with the planning :)

welcome and happy postings:)

I am not running a sump or refugium at the moment. Trying to plan them and make them effective as possible. Currently just cycling water in the main tank for about a week or so... Also do not have any of the equipment yet for the sump and refugium. Need to get this hopefully soon to start putting it all together. Really need ideas for the best overflows and pumps.

Also, I have spent countless hours looking at skimmers on-line and still have no idea which one is the best value??

Back
Top Bottom