Noob Alert!

Reaction score
Hi Complete Noob! So bare with me! I just received the following tank.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356647788.710086.jpg

Its filthy at the moment but i hope with time and patience it turns out to be quite the setup. I am planning to run a sump setup and i want to buy another tank in the week. The current tank is 1.2 x 45 x 45 and the i am still awaiting the exact specs for the second one but its advertised as 1m tank.

So first question is how do i clean the current tank? And with what still full of dust and leaves.

Secondly should i use the current one as display tank and the one i plan to buy as the sump? I don't have allot of space and i think 1.2m will be manageable for me. If i can get a 1.2m would that be overkill as a sump?

Thirdly once i have the sump in place, protein skimmer, return pump in place. What else should i consider regarding lights etc?

My budget isn't very big and this will be a slow process. So i need help to be the most cost effective regarding equipment etc.
Wouldn't want to waist any money on the wrong stuff and would rather pay more for the right ones.

Your help is much appreciated.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356647788.710086.jpg

welcome to masa great to have you join:)

a few things to check with that tank to see how applicable it is for marines. I cant tell if its drilled for and overflow? a decent overflow with a durso pipe is a definate advantage to a quiet tank.

What glass thickness is the tank, and what base is on the tank. is it double base or single base?

to wash it use lots of fresh water. get the dust off, leaves out etc etc and then make a dilute sollution of vinegar and water and wash it with that. It will help to get any accululated fats and stuff off the tank thats been left a while. Look carefully for scratches as once a tank gets goinga nd algae starts to grow any scratches will show very badly later on.

the size of the tank is a little difficult to scape (its a bit narrow front to back) but would make a excelent sump if you think its not a good Display Tank. Have you had a look for a good second hand tank on masa for sale section?

Hi thanks for the reply. The glass is roughly 10mm i think. And i think the base is single as well. It was used in a FS i think. I haven't seen any for sale yet. I was planning on having it drillled and overflow fitted. But thought id ask here first.

Welcome to MASA. There is lots of info on this forum read allot and you will soon find answers to all your questions

Back
Top Bottom