Newly hooked on saltwater

Papitto

PatrickF
Reaction score
Ola! :thumbup:
I have just registered on the forum and I'm reading a lot that is exciting. I might be a reff junkie at heart but I want to start slow.
I already have a 2 year old Cichlid tank, but after watching a doccie about the Pacific marine biologists recently, I had to get a piece of that in my home.
I love my cichlids, but I'm anxious to start a 1.marine2.reef system.
I want to sell my cichlids and use my tank for my beginner marine setup.
I need advise on how to do this.
My DIY 220L tank:
915L x 375W x 650H Tall
Built in sump in the tank (Which I want to remove to replace with external sump and overflow)

I would like to take the project management route on this one to ensure I cover everything in sequence.
Remember... I'm new to marine/reef, although I have just about googled/Youtubed?Wiki'd a Ish-load on the topic... I'm considering myself ignorant at this point.

Any advise will be awesome.:79:

welcome and be prepared to learn alot!!!!

i used to have cichlids and they just dont seem to have the personality of marine fish

one thing i can say is with marines you need to have lots and lots of patience!!! other than that i will leave it to the experts to give you advice!!!

welcome!

this hobby is not as scary as one thinks...
there is no real reason to have a sump etc, you can make do with what you have.
the big cost will be lighting on a deep tank, but there are ways around that.

post a pic of the tank and the filtration at the back

Welcome dude.

Keeping marine life is not only unique with respect to the challenges it brings us to overcome, but it's cool! like James Bond......

You are in the right place, the gurus here will guide you, they have heard it all........and seen my ridiculous questions....

Just ask, ask and ask. Then read :) and what are these cichlid things? bathwater fish? :p

Thank you for the replies. See pics of my tank as is...
In the pics, I tried to get a view of the built in sump as well.

IMG_20140121_170507.jpg

IMG_20140121_170356.jpg

IMG_20140121_170430.jpg

IMG_20140121_170416.jpg

Roodepoort-20130422-01441.jpg

IMG-20130322-01328.jpg

@Papitto where or how does the water enter your internal sump?

Hello and welcome Papitto

915L x 375W x 650H Tall
tank is a bit narrow for nice coral placement. Plus a rock stack. Normally we do not pack the rocks up against the back glass panel to be able to ensure enough water flow all over.

If you can add a sump it would be better.

Other option is to look in the for sale section. Might pic up a suitable tank stand and sump. Would be easier and even be cheaper than to tr and change your system into a marine tank. Can always seel your old system as a complete system.

@jclaas - the sump area is split into 3 parts by 2 baffles. Part A(left of pic) has a 2cm width opening & 63 cm height. Part B for filter media & bio media. Part C is pump dock, which pulls tank water through A&B and back into tank.
@RiaanP - I agree with you... I'm trying to source low cost 10-12mm glass for my build. it's really expensive. Need to save on glass in order to buy better quality equipment

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom