Newby

Reaction score
Hi All, saw the post and liked it quite a lot, so I decided to join. I am a newby to the whole marine aquarium setup, but am willing to learn (hey this does`nt mean I know nothing, at least I know a fish needs water like a man needs beer:peroni::peroni::peroni::peroni:...) I know the basics though, but one can never have enough info! So, ja, here I am and if there is anything you think I should know, let me know.....

My tank= an empty 200L rectangular....
Hopefully soon to be filled with my dreams.....

hey this does`nt mean I know nothing, at least I know a fish needs water like a man needs beer...)

A man after my own ragged, oft misquoted and badly disposed heart!!!!!! You BEAUTY - we are gonna get along just FINE!

Welcome to MASA chap - welcome indeed

As I like to say "In caelum cerevisiae est nullum, Itaque hic bibemus illum!"

Thank you very much for having me...

Well, currently I don`t have much of an idea what I want to keep, what do you suggest would be the best to start off with? For now I have only the 200L tank, no skimmer (planning to DIY one in a few days, still looking for an external needle wheel pump), no sump (still trying to figure out how to construct it and what to put inside). What I maybe have is sandrock, a friend of mine collected it from a beach at Knysna, but the problem is I do not know if it is safe to use inside the tank? Any help on these topics would be appreciated...

Cheers for now.

I see the guys in PTA are getting together soon - follow the thread that you originally were in or try the "members" tab on the top - then send a "PM" private message to a few guys in your area with your contact details and try and meet up personally - will be easier to throw your ideas to them and get to know your fellow reefers - As for sandstone - not advisable but not a total nono - you need to invest in some liverock from a pet shop - Under our sponsors tabs you will find pet shops in PTA that will point you in the right direction to get you started - Also go through other members threads here - you might alot questions that other noobies have asked that might be the same as what you want to know!

Welcome to MASA

Thanks a lot Chikaboo, I also thought of asking them for some info, and maybe joining their meetings and so on.... As for the sandstone, what seems to be the problem with it? Does it cause any problems or what? I will surely get liverock, but thought of putting in the sandstone also, seeing that the ones he has look very nice, leka holes and so on? What do you think?

Thank you once again...

Sandstone is not as porous as live rock so there isn't much place for the gogga's and noonu's to multiply - We need all these critters to assist in filteration in our tanks - If you mix the two types of rocks eventually your sandstone will have "life" on them just not as much as proper liverock - As decomposition of rotting corpses takes place on land with bugs like maggots and other gogga's so too do we have this principal taking place underwater - And the liverock are the houses for all these critters to breakdown unwanted gunk in our tanks. These take the form of copepods, bristleworms, flatworms and lots of wiered microlife - So the better the quality of liverock the more buggers you gonna have helping out with filteration

Thank you Chikaboo, I surely will put liverock in also, but I really like the sandstone, also I think its a good living place for the little ones, Will post some pics later today/tonight...

Well come to Masa DesmondG give Lanzo from Dorry Pets a shout and he will help you out with all the goodies required. He is one of the sponsors on the forum and is close to you... Remember take it slow and dont rush things as only bad things happen fast. Happy reefing and do as much research as you can.

Cool - you need to get some R/O water from a pet shop or better still invest in a unit for topping up water when it evapourates and wash the sandstone thoroughly in it before introducing it into the tank - I used to boil my water and soak my sandstone for awhile to kill of nasties - just dont use tap water as there are alot of unwanted stuff in our municipal water that fuels unwanted algae and various other bacteria's that will eventually become nuances - all the best with your new venture - Also before going out and spending $$$$ check with the guys here for our 2c advice - it will save you a bundle!

Hello and welcome

Well come to Masa DesmondG give Lanzo from Dorry Pets a shout and he will help you out with all the goodies required. He is one of the sponsors on the forum and is close to you... Remember take it slow and dont rush things as only bad things happen fast. Happy reefing and do as much research as you can.

Hi Pete, thanks for the info, do you have contact details of them? Or should I find him on the posts? Where exactly are they based? As for taking it slow, it took me 2 years to finally decide I want I marine aquarium...lol.

Cool - you need to get some R/O water from a pet shop or better still invest in a unit for topping up water when it evapourates and wash the sandstone thoroughly in it before introducing it into the tank - I used to boil my water and soak my sandstone for awhile to kill of nasties - just dont use tap water as there are alot of unwanted stuff in our municipal water that fuels unwanted algae and various other bacteria's that will eventually become nuances - all the best with your new venture - Also before going out and spending $$$$ check with the guys here for our 2c advice - it will save you a bundle!

Thanks Chikaboo, I also thought of buying one, will the two filter one work? I saw one for about R 1950-00 (Price ok or not). As for the sandstone, it will be washed with boiled RO water as soon as I can get any but first I have to invest in a sump an skimmer, the skimmer I thought of DIYing one, as I saw a nice idea on the post (Do you know the one made from the 5gal water bottle?) I have the same idea, only better looking though...

The advice and knowledge of you guys is what made me join the posts, so I really really aprecciate your`e help and advice.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom