newby

Brilliant examples of healthy BTA's :thumbup:

Here's one of mine, previously posted in the January photo competition:

1094b49c787413fe.jpg

Hennie

Just to give my 5cents (not that it might be worth much).

I agree FULLY with what David has said about the quality of anemone's that we get at South African LFS's....

Of ALL the nemmies that I have seen in our LFS's in SA - about ONE out of TEN is semi-healthy....

The pics that David showed, are very typical of anemone's that you get in LFS's for sale. Also - unfortunately - not many fellow reefkeepers actually sell anemone's which is already healthy.....

So - my experience with anemone's - I nearly ALWAYS end up having to "nurse" the anemone's back to health..... And this does sometimes take up to 6 months....

And recently - I got a healthy anemone from a fellow reefkeeper - and this nemmie seemed healthy - and after about a week in my tank, it bleached as white as can be (and I had it under 150 watt metal halides, as well as I fed the anemone twice a week)...... Which just goes to show - one never knows with anemone's.
This anemone is still holding on and is seemingly healthy (as it's tentacles are sticky and it reacts very well to feeding) - but it is yellow / white..... nearly like yellow snow! ;) LOL!

And I have been keeping anemone's for the past 5 years.

Thanks Hennie! Yours is looking mighty fine also! Thank you for posting your picture! I have more pictures somewhere, but after two moves in less than a year, I have no idea what box the CD is in!

Just to give my 5cents (not that it might be worth much).
I agree FULLY with what David has said about the quality of anemone's that we get at South African LFS's....

Of ALL the nemmies that I have seen in our LFS's in SA - about ONE out of TEN is semi-healthy....

The pics that David showed, are very typical of anemone's that you get in LFS's for sale. Also - unfortunately - not many fellow reefkeepers actually sell anemone's which is already healthy.....

So - my experience with anemone's - I nearly ALWAYS end up having to "nurse" the anemone's back to health..... And this does sometimes take up to 6 months....

This is unfortunate! Collection and shipping of anemones is very harsh. Propagation is a better solution for BTAs.

I do agree that the recovery process of an unhealthy anemone can be a long process. Congrats to you for taking the time and effort!

And recently - I got a healthy anemone from a fellow reefkeeper - and this nemmie seemed healthy - and after about a week in my tank, it bleached as white as can be (and I had it under 150 watt metal halides, as well as I fed the anemone twice a week)...... Which just goes to show - one never knows with anemone's.

This anemone is still holding on and is seemingly healthy (as it's tentacles are sticky and it reacts very well to feeding) - but it is yellow / white..... nearly like yellow snow! LOL!

And I have been keeping anemone's for the past 5 years.

If the anemone looked healthy, it was likely healthy when you got it. There is stress involved when moving an anemone from one tank to another and no two tanks are identical. Anemones don’t like abrupt changes. Good to know that the anemone is still improving. However, a yellow/white anemone is still not healthy…….Hopefully it improves. If you have another thread on this anemone, I would be happy to take a look at it and see if I can offer any suggestions.

There is a lot of good information in this thread, but because it is placed in a “New Member” forum, I feel it is going to be missed by people who may someday have the same problem. What does everyone feel about splitting this thread and putting the last few pages in the “Anemone” forum?

Last edited:
The pics that David showed, are very typical of anemone's that you get in LFS's for sale.

And IMHO, THAT'S where they should stay. As cruel as it sounds in the short term, the best bet for us receiving healthier anemones, and for less anemones to be removed from the oceans to replace those that have died in our tanks, is to LET THE SICK ANEMONES DIE IN THE LFS's TANKS. That way, they will feel the financial loss of not getting healthy nennies (or for not caring for them properly), and when their financial losses start to mount, they will do something about it.

So, to stress this again - Don't buy any anemone that is not in a very healthy condition

Hennie

Hi Hennie - I think what you are saying, is VERY VERY true. This is extremely important. I think that the hobbyist should try and get out of the situation of trying to "save" fish, corals and anemone's in the LFS tanks.

It is exactly this situation that brings people like David to ask for help.

Thanks Jacques, I'm very guilty of that I do walk into a LFS and think I can give it a better home. I'm getting better at it. I do walk away, the last 3 LFS I have walked out with not buying a thing!

sorry to hear of all the difficulties david, i cant add anything that hasnt already been said but i hope things go easier for you soon :)

Crispin it's all self inflicted. School fees.
But for me I still have a great DT with lots of fish and corals. I think today I have spent 3 hrs feeding, looking, moving,looking, cleanning and looking. The lights went out now, so give an hour and I will get the torch.

There is a lot of good information in this thread, but because it is placed in a “New Member” forum, I feel it is going to be missed by people who may someday have the same problem. What does everyone feel about splitting this thread and putting the last few pages in the “Anemone” forum?

Agreed :thumbup:

Hennie

Maybe a copy and paste. If it can't be done I have no problem with the last few pages being moved to the Anemone forum.

WOW David! Tank is looking good so far, mate! Congrats! Now - it just needs some more maturity! Then it can too be a really awesome system! Where did you find the idea of the scaping? Very interesting.

Sittting and watching most of the time, your left has not changed much the right and the middle is still not settled. The LR is very open so fish can dive in one spot and come out some were else. Lets just say it works for me. There are carports for all the Tangs. And lots of space for growing or more corals.

Wow! Very nice David! I absolutely love the aquascaping! Your tank is beautiful, but it's going to be even more beautiful as it matures!

As your corals grow and you add more, your not going to have much room for additional anemones.;)

looking awesome there mate!!!

Back
Top Bottom