New to Marine Tanks

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am Looking to start a new build.
So far I have spent about two weeks reading through the forums and other source material.
MASA has been extremely helpful. So thanks to the moderators and everyone that has spent the time to post comments and tips for new people.

The Tank that I am looking at building is going to be 3000mmx700mmx550mm.
I am looking at doing a DSB with beach sand and aragonite.
This will be a mixed coral and fish tank.
I will be buying all the equipment prior to the tank so that I don't have an empty tank taking up space while waiting to collect all the hardware.

That's my story so far so any advise and input will be greatly appreciated as a lot of the members have stunning set ups and experience.
Also I would like to find out where there are any gatherings or meetings for fellow hobbyists

Welcome SteveySteve..... Take it slow and ask as many questions as possible. There is a "reef meeting" coming up the 11th July at Aquaria-SA in krugersdorp. Hope to see you there. @Hails can give you more info about the meeting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I most definately will take it slow.
there is a lot of planning ahead but really looking forward to it.
I am extremely excited and have been for the last 3 months since i have decided that this is what i really really have a passion for.

@RiaanP is the DSB guru. He will definately be able to assist you with that. if Im not mistaken go and look at Riaan's thread. He has a 3.2m setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome Steveysteve

I am looking at doing a DSB with beach sand and aragonite.

That is a lot of sand to get to Gauteng. And wet sand is very heavy. My system consist of 3 separate DSB sections. 2 are aragonite and the big one is playsand.

I brought quite a lot from Munster when I went on holiday in April. I have a 50mm bed in my fresh water tank which is 1200mmx500mm and I have just over double the amount I already used left over.
I thought that adding the aragonite or crushed coral would just create a bit of bacterial growing area.

So i have decided to reuse some 6mm glass that i have collected over some time and am thinking of building a small tank and sump.
My idea is to grow some corals in it and perfect my techniques, while waiting for my dream tank at the end of 2016.
the tank size will be 800mmLx400mmWx300mmH.
I would like some advise as to if this is a good idea or not.

the tank size will be 800mmLx400mmWx300mmH. I would like some advise as to if this is a good idea or not.
That is a nice size frag tank.
Very same in depth than mine. Corals grows very well in that shallow water.

Back
Top Bottom