new reeftank in cape town

Reaction score
hey guys,

Ive always wanted a marine tank but now after snorkling on the reefs in zanzibar im ready.
Thinking of starting with 1.2 or 1.5m what do you think?
Thanks for all the great story's learning alot!

Cheers

Zanzibar diver

firstly Welcome
2ndly Wheres the pics of the dive?
Thinking of starting with 1.2 or 1.5m what do you think?

Its a personal preference.I would recommend a 2m or something like the stuff in 2 Oceans :whistling:

All depends on your budget, space to work with & your missus/GF/family

Given choice between 2 tanks i would go with the larger tank. More water, more space for livestock etc etc.

Do some research , then a rough plan of what you want & ask for comments

See Marine Aquariums of South Africa
& Beginner Discussions - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

There are full/almost full setups for sale in the General Marine Sales - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

See [FS]: Shallow cube for sale : Cape Town - Marine Aquariums of South Africa (i'm not making any commision) & its only 6k :eek:

welcome,

i think its important to do the research and draw a mental picture of what you want to achieve, small isnt necessarily a bad way to go as your main difference between this and a large system will be lighting which will contribute to higher electrical costs.

skimmers, heaters, flow pumps would be basically the same barring one or 2 more pumps perhaps for a slightly bigger system..

personally i like both 1.2 or 1.5m if it were to be a longterm commitment and you own your own house etc i would suggest a 1.5m but as wide as possible (1m) as this will offer you fantastic scaping options ans well a a proper chunk of the ocean..

width over length wins hands down in many cases...

good luck with your project.. looking forward to your progress..

Welcom to MASA and an awesome hobby. I would suggest a 1200 x 700 w (even 800 ) x 650 h.

This leaves a lot of space for scaping options and doesnt break the bank in terms of equipment costs.

This is the next tank I am building for myself ....

Ultimately the decision lies with your budget , expectations , available space etc

Good luck !

thanks guys

"Bigfish" i only had a underwater video camera but i will post some stills shortly.
?
I'll probably start with a 1.2m and overspec my hardware so i can upgrade later.

Im a DIY kinda guy so im busy with the stand design @ the moment.

Also trying to find a trustworthy supplier who can guide me with the specs and suggested models.

Hope i can get my tank to look as good as some of u guys.

Sure it would take time.

What brands should i look out for?

Back
Top Bottom