New member Shaheed (aka struggles )

Try resizing them on Office Picture manager, they might be too big. I resize too 600X 400

let me know of you dont come right

welcome

Hi Everybody,

My name is Shaheed (aka struggles) from Athlone Cape Town, Thank you for a great site. I have always been fascinated by a marine aquarium could never afford it seems like a very expencive hobby only for the wealthy untill I came across your site. Ps. I'm new to this please be patient here goes!!!

Tank size: 1600 x 500 x 600
Sump: 1200 x 450 x 450
Skimmer Not sure What the name is bought it from someone running a 1500 tank
Uplift pump: lifetech AP 3500
Heater: 3609 aquarium heater 300 w ( Jager)

The location of the tank will be close to a window where i will get morning sun (not directly on the tank on the side) pls. advise.
Question: 1) What else do I need
2) What kind of material do I need to build a cabinet
3) What goes where in the sump ( 4 compartments)

Thanx

Shaheed
Hi shaheed welcome need any help call me i am not far from you any time on 0825557865 i am based in walmer estate.

welcometomasa

Alan is a guru in his own right. Has one of the best tanks I have seen. Even though he has not got the years experience behind him.
Hi Hill,
I recieved my sump on friday unfortuatly I dont have a lot of space to take the skimmer in and out should I need to, now I'm going toput it flat on the floor on a wooden board of course then build a cabinet around it. Should I leave the top open ( above the tank or can I close it with doors. ( Shaheed )

take things slow read alot and listen to what people say rome was not build in a day read alot of forums all over google alot and share lots of pictures oh and dont forget to add some fish no sharks though and if it dont work out start from the begining learning is fun never rush things if you dont have it diy it anything is better than nothing for a begining if you can build it then do it

Hi Hill,
I recieved my sump on friday unfortuatly I dont have a lot of space to take the skimmer in and out should I need to, now I'm going toput it flat on the floor on a wooden board of course then build a cabinet around it. Should I leave the top open ( above the tank or can I close it with doors. ( Shaheed )

I would close it up. unless of course you have another idea on how to prevent moths, etc from getting in.

Don't forget to put polystyrene underneath the sump before you put it on the wood.

Try resizing them on Office Picture manager, they might be too big. I resize too 600X 400

let me know of you dont come right
The knowledge I have of computers is the same trying to set up a reef tank.
I'm from the old school if idont get step by step i'm lost Shaheed

Here are some of Struggles questions

Struggles said:
  • Can you tell me what kind of skimmer this is.
  • What kind of lights do I use for a 1600 x 600 x 500 tank
  • Do I leave the top open and have suspended lights or do I enclose the top and put the lights on the inside.
  • This is the area where the tank will be situated
  • The sump I’m going to use is to big to fit under tank can I put it on the floor under the tank.
  • The location of the tank is pictured near a window direct sunlight for 2 hours in the mornings I do have blinds can cut out the sunlight.

Some of struggles pics

P1090023.jpg

viaaquaskimmer.jpg

emptytank2.jpg

emptytank.jpg

heater.jpg

lounge.jpg

Malawis
malawi.jpg

malawi1.jpg

Last edited:
Do I leave the top open and have suspended lights or do I enclose the top and put the lights on the inside.
Open would have less heat issues, closed looks better and can be run with fans and/or a chiller
This is the area where the tank will be situated
Area will be fine
Can you tell me what kind of skimmer this is.
Its a Via Aqua skimmer
The location of the tank is pictured near a window direct sunlight for 2 hours in the mornings I do have blinds can cut out the sunlight.
Should be fine, but heat could be a problem
What kind of lights do I use for a 1600 x 600 x 500 tank
You could go with T5's or Metal Halides depending on what you planning on keeping
The sump I’m going to use is to big to fit under tank can I put it on the floor under the tank.
yes make sure it is on a flat surface and polystyreneThe sunlight is good, but heat could be a problem

Open would have less heat issues, closed looks better and can be run with fans and/or a chillerArea will be fineIts a Via Aqua skimmerShould be fine, but heat could be a problemYou could go with T5's or Metal Halides depending on what you planning on keepingyes make sure it is on a flat surface and polystyreneThe sunlight is good, but heat could be a problem
Hi Kanga,

Thanx for screening the pics, I went to a lighting shop to enquire about metal halides. Ican get a 430w or a 400w metal halide with frame and fitting for R550 will it work for my tank. The picture of the malawies should not been screen

Hi Kanga,

Thanx for screening the pics, I went to a lighting shop to enquire about metal halides. Ican get a 430w or a 400w metal halide with frame and fitting for R550 will it work for my tank. The picture of the malawies should not been screen

Only a pleasure, we will still get you to resize them, that was 10 megs worth of pics:lol:

The malawis look nice and healthy

that price is just too cheap fr MH lights, What exactly are they? Make Model, ballast, maybe pics?

Only a pleasure, we will still get you to resize them, that was 10 megs worth of pics:lol:

The malawis look nice and healthy

that price is just too cheap fr MH lights, What exactly are they? Make Model, ballast, maybe pics?
I'm going back to the shop with a camera get the specs and a couple of photo's. They also sell T5 for 1,2 with fittings for R 130

I'm going back to the shop with a camera get the specs and a couple of photo's. They also sell T5 for 1,2 with fittings for R 130

wow that cheap, check the colour temp:p

The Via Aqua can work very well. It just needs lotsa space. If you put two limewood blocks into the body with a strong airpump and the Via Aqua needleweel it will skim really stinky stuff ;).

The Via Aqua can work very well. It just needs lotsa space. If you put two limewood blocks into the body with a strong airpump and the Via Aqua needleweel it will skim really stinky stuff ;).
The space available is 480 x 450 x 450. What is limewood blocks where do I buy that.
What size airpump

Back
Top Bottom