New lamp looks promising

i just got a price from one of hte local lighting shops - R350 for the holder and R250 for the lamp.... +-.... damn! :(

Hennie - hows this light working for you?

not using it at the moment - I had it on my frag tank, but was not too happy with the light intensity, and replaced it with a 250W MH.

I still think that it has a use as a light for a refugium or algae scrubber, but will probably end up using it for what it was designed for - an outdoors security light.

Hennie

Check what I found, 45w energy saver. 2700 lumens, equivalent to a 225w halogen

52849848975b04a3.jpg
Any feedback on this warr. I need some lights for my chaeto as its hardly growing

Any feedback on this warr. I need some lights for my chaeto as its hardly growing

This lamp works great on my scrubber.

I have found this globe to work very well on my Chaeto

52849f2997ed4acb.jpg

Seems like the algae doesn't like the "white" lights but the 4000K "redder" globes

Size counts . . . .

This is what I'm using on my scrubber, and planning to use on the DT when nobody's looking.

105w CFL,
6000lm,
6400k,

On the box it's apparently equivalent to a 500w incandescent (great advertising) - but according to my books it's somewhere between an 80-100w HPS/MH. It is damn bright though and doesn't get hot. Excuse the awful picture.

19424a420adf5c567.jpg

hello Stressed Eric

what is the brand name of this CFL and where did you get this one from?

Thanks for your help!

This is what I'm using on my scrubber, and planning to use on the DT when nobody's looking.

105w CFL,
6000lm,
6400k,

On the box it's apparently equivalent to a 500w incandescent (great advertising) - but according to my books it's somewhere between an 80-100w HPS/MH. It is damn bright though and doesn't get hot. Excuse the awful picture.

19424a420adf5c567.jpg

I saw some Wicked PC bulbs today at Northgate. They are about as long as the one in the pic above but far more thicker with more bulb surface area. I almost couldn't look at the light it was intense

It's a reeflite globe, and sold by general electrical outlets for floodlights. And goes for just over R200. I've seen a 200w like this, but those aren't readily available yet - but when they are i reckon they would be worth looking at :)

the 85watt CFL was a COMPLETE waste of time and a lot of money... i am avoiding eurolux at all costs now

I use 20 watt (the more common one's are the 50 watt's) halogen 12 volt downlighters, over my chaetomorpha. And these make my chaeto grow like CRAZY! I have noticed that plants grow so fantastic in dark restaurants, with these halogen downlighters shining on them. So - I decided to try this over my chaeto - and I have not had a DAY'S trouble with them. And my chaetomorpha grows like CRAZY!

Back
Top Bottom