New cube for a new house

Reaction score
Hi all

We bought a new house in December so I decided to upgrade from my current 1.2m to a larger volume cube, exactly to my specifications and preferences.

My current tank frustrated me when it came to weekly/daily maintanance and general access to the tank. The width of the tank, at 450mm also limited scaping.

So, after some thought and planning(and convincing of the wife) I decided to have a 900mm x 900mm x 600mm cube built. Tank is about 445l at the correct water level.

I placed this in the lounge of the new house, so now I will have a view of the tank and fireplace at the same time!

The tank was built from 12mm floating glass on a 32mm square tubing frame. It's also rimless, exactly what I always wanted!

Here's the tank after it just arrived.
49434f695a4fe2836.jpg

The sump was made of 10mm glass, specs: 750mm x 490mm x 410 height. Plenty of space for equipment as you can see...
49434f695e0c7e0fc.jpg

More detail to follow on equipment and filtration specs, we are still between the old and new house and the next 5 days are going to be hectic, moving house and the livestock!

I already started transferring liverock over the last couple of days, everything needs to be transferred by this weekend, holding thumbs!

I have just recieved all my glass for my 900 x 900 x 700 in 12mm
also gonna do a rimless tank and keep the water level at 600... so gonna be very similar set up...
you thought of flow, lighting, reactors etc...?

Love it...:thumbup:..I always wanted 65x65 but will admitt...seeing the bigger one's on MASA lately, has made me want to go bigger...:p

Thanks Belindamotion, my first marine tank was a 50 x 50 x 50 cube but was too small, then the 1.2 x 45 and now the 900 x 900, bigger is definately better!

Wow, this is my dream tank, will make mine just a little bit higher.

Think that specimen in the tank is a bit large for it?

I wish I could have kept him in the tank while we were moving now, keeping us really busy!

I have just recieved all my glass for my 900 x 900 x 700 in 12mm
also gonna do a rimless tank and keep the water level at 600... so gonna be very similar set up...
you thought of flow, lighting, reactors etc...?

I'm sure you will be very happy with your tank, nice size.

I had a vortech and small Seio in my 1.2m tank, for this I'm going 2 x 5500lph Seio's and adding my small Seio for night time. I will use my MP10 to blow detritus out of dead spots every nowe and then as it can be moved around easily.

Wikll post some pics and specs on my filtration soon.

Just a tip, I had the same size cube, and my sump setup was the same (RO tank in front). I would rather put the RO tank in the back right hand corner. That will give you better access to your sump!

Excellent tip, thanks. The tank is unfortunately already full so I will have to change the plumbing to move the sump but will definately keep it in mind for the future. At least I have access from 3 sides in the sump compartment.

49434f695dc491364.jpg

I wasnt able to use much of my old equipment such as skimmer, lights etc so rather invested in new good quality equipment.

Skimmer: Aquamedic Blue 3000
NP reactor: Reef Octopus
Kalkstirrer: Aquamedic KS 1000
Return pump: Aquamedic waverunner 2500
Auto topup: Aquamedic

Jayceew your tank is awesome! Exactly what i had in mind for my future tank, maybe just 1000mm x 1000mm x 600mm

49434f695e9135b8e.jpg

All the equipment is now in place and I can start to fill the tank.
Still need to fit heaters and lighting unit. Wiring is going to be a nightmare, my plan is to place a small cabinet next to the tank that will hide the witing, ballasts for the metal halides and my UPS.

Back
Top Bottom