New 1,2m tank

Tagging along. I like your dimensions. Slightly smaller volume and shallower tank dramatically decreases the specs and price of the rest of your equipment. How is it coming along? I am especially interested in the sicce pump and powerheads, are you happy with them so far? Good luck.

All is well so far, Sicce pumps doing well no problems there, added a Profilux 3 computer and dozing pump, works like a dream, graphs etc of your system over a period etc, so much easier but pricey.

the controller for the sicce pumps is pretty cheap! YOu should have a look at it. Retails for R800

the controller for the sicce pumps is pretty cheap! YOu should have a look at it. Retails for R800

Thanks I do have the controller, but you can plug into the Profilux system and control it that way. Amazing system but pricey. I think it can even give a massage but I don't know what ending you will get... Happy or not.

Thanks I do have the controller, but you can plug into the Profilux system and control it that way. Amazing system but pricey. I think it can even give a massage but I don't know what ending you will get... Happy or not.

@Marine1 .. hows the sicce pumps and the controller? Im thinking of getting 2 x10000L pumps and the controller to create a more random flow.. Tunze is way too expensive and seio pumps are very big and intrusive I feel

Last edited by a moderator:
@Marine1 .. hows the sicce pumps and the controller? Im thinking of getting 2 x10000L pumps and the controller to create a more random flow.. Tunze is way too expensive and seio pumps are very big and intrusive I feel

I think for the price and quality they are great pumps, its got a feeding switch etc.
Time can be set eg. 10 sec up and it works very well

Last edited by a moderator:
do you get a nice alternating flow?

I see you disagree with a dsb and a np pellet at the same time, why as I am running it with no problems ... Yet?

because you have a new system.. It only become a problem later on when the dsb is mature. Its as if the dsb traps po4 and no3 in it. When you have a dsb then later use a np pellet reactor, you see basically no results as the dsb prevents the np pellets from doing the job. Just a very simplistic view of it :) ..

When you have a carbon based filtration system, like vodka dosing or np pellets.. bacteria use carbon, no3 and po4 in a certain ratio (redfield theory) .. now when you have another filtration method like macro algae, dsb etc which eat up po4 and denitrify.. this leads to either po4 or no3 being used up excessively and will reach a point where the po4 or no3 is finished and the bacteria can no longer multiply thus limiting the effectiveness of the np pellets.. I dose vodka and have come to this problem. Im going to give away my cheato.

When using vodka, np pellets, zeo stones, its best to only use one method.... and ofcourse a good skimmer :)

Someone can jump in if Im wrong.. This is just based on what I have read and have experienced in my own tank

because you have a new system.. It only become a problem later on when the dsb is mature. Its as if the dsb traps po4 and no3 in it. When you have a dsb then later use a np pellet reactor, you see basically no results as the dsb prevents the np pellets from doing the job. Just a very simplistic view of it :) ..

When you have a carbon based filtration system, like vodka dosing or np pellets.. bacteria use carbon, no3 and po4 in a certain ratio (redfield theory) .. now when you have another filtration method like macro algae, dsb etc which eat up po4 and denitrify.. this leads to either po4 or no3 being used up excessively and will reach a point where the po4 or no3 is finished and the bacteria can no longer multiply thus limiting the effectiveness of the np pellets.. I dose vodka and have come to this problem. Im going to give away my cheato.

When using vodka, np pellets, zeo stones, its best to only use one method.... and ofcourse a good skimmer :)

Someone can jump in if Im wrong.. This is just based on what I have read and have experienced in my own tank

So in my new system which one to use and which to loose?

I would use the np pellets as it takes a dsb about 6months to mature. Depends on what you want to keep. Np pellets are good if you want to keep sps, dsb good for softies etc if its big enough. What skimmer do you have?

51024e8ffe4b5247f.jpg
51024e8ffea47d31f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom