neo's tank

neo

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm finally starting with my journey. Tank and stand is ordered, will go DIY on the sump.
Tank to be 1000x650x600 with rear center overflow
Sump outer dim 900x550x500

Ok so sump internal still to be decided, pls help, have drawn a pic....

20424ab89abeebeea.jpg

Skimmer to be 350x400
dsb to be rest of tank thus 400x 650, 150 sand and 150 water
ro water storage to be 150x400 and filled to 400, will give about 24l storage
return to be 150x500
options on sump:
1) DSB will flow to return at red line, my concern is the corner (yellow)
2) add glass at green line to direct flow more towards corner (yellow) or is this not necessary ?
3) make dsb smaller with glass at green line and thus have extra compartment at right side of green line for heater etc.

Tank will be 12mm base and 10mm sides.
Will have 1 durso and return will also be inside overflow box, also have another 25mm pipe in overflow to use for wires from cabinet to tank/canopy.

Where in PTA/Centurion can i get the stand galvi ?

Skimmer to be TS2 or ORCA (is that right), not much price diff, which one is better?

Tank volume is 370 un-stocked, I would say about 300l when rock etc. added, thus I will need a 1300 - 1500l/h turnover = 2000l/h pump to give 1500l/h at 1.5m ?

trying to keep it simple for now, any suggestions welcome.

hmmm, lights on 1000mm tank ?

The sump design looks good,heater can go in 1st chamber where the skimmer is...use the total space for the dsb...the bigger the dsb the better

Orca would be the better skimmer

8 xt5 light fixture would look awesome in your tank...it all depends what you want to keep in hte tank...mh will give you the ripple effect in the tank.

Return pump hx6530 or hx6540

Sounds good so far Neo, sump desing seems fine. Are you not interested in adding a dedicated refugium area as well?

Agree with Lanzo that the Orca 100 would be better than the TS2, but I see a TS3 for sale in the Classifieds for R90 more than a new Orca and it does 1000L so I would look into that if I was you...the bigger the skimmer the better ;)

As for lighting I had a 8x T5 light unit as Lanzo has recommended in my tank same depth just a bit shorter and it worked wonders I kept everything from soft corals to SPS without any problems :)

A quick check on Dorry's web show the advertised ts3 is more than R90 more expensive, more like R300 more expensive, and i have to add shipping from cpt to pta.

I'm rethinking my design, as my stand is 650mm x 1000mm I wanted some space for the electrics so I decided on 900 sump, but now i might make it to an almost 1000 sump and do something else with the electrics.

Ok, i've seen refugiums but pls explain what i put in it/main purpose and does it go before/after dsb ?

Got feedback on my order on the tank,
going to be about 2 weeks for the tank (glass takes a while and it is wet tested as well),
should have stand in 1 week.
BUT it's long week-end so I will start the countdown on monday.

A quick check on Dorry's web show the advertised ts3 is more than R90 more expensive, more like R300 more expensive, and i have to add shipping from cpt to pta.

I'm rethinking my design, as my stand is 650mm x 1000mm I wanted some space for the electrics so I decided on 900 sump, but now i might make it to an almost 1000 sump and do something else with the electrics.

Ok, i've seen refugiums but pls explain what i put in it/main purpose and does it go before/after dsb ?

[FS] reef tek skimmer ts3 insump - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

This was the one for sale in the classifieds. You always want to try have a skimmer that is rated for more than your system volume...if possible try and aim for double. Not completely necessary but definately helps with keeping your system cleaner and with over stocking. If you looking at a 1000L sump then you should be looking at more on the lines of a Reef Octo Extreme 160 or maybe TS4.

As for Refugiums, its basically where you would keep macro algaes, you could use mineral mud as well and plant some Mangroves (which is what I want to try and do) for nitrate and phosphate export. You would also have some liverock in there as well. Its for housing your small critters like pods etc where there are no predators that can eat them and their numbers can grow. These would then help as part of the clean up crew and also feed your system, things like mandarins would only feed off these, while other fish would also benefit from them as well, not to mention your corals. You could ofc have a refugium over your DSB.

hello neo, i dont think ive welcomed you yet, if not welcome to masa :)

thats a loveløy sized tank to start off on and your sumop seems good, i especially like the fact that you are putting in a RO chamber and with an auto top up will help you greatly in combating fluctuating water levels. also great to see a good sized dsb in there :)

just a note, Dory pets is in PTA and probably close to you. go check them out its always a great way to see how other people run their systems and you can have a chat about lights and the like when you are there:)

you look like u are off to a good start, i hope u get ure hands on that tank soon :)

Another question.
I have the option to put my sump on the floor between the legs of the stand or ontop of the bottom horizontal beams of the stand, having it on the stand will add 100mm to the sump length but will also add aditional 200kg load on the stand - what do you think?

Another question.
I have the option to put my sump on the floor between the legs of the stand or ontop of the bottom horizontal beams of the stand, having it on the stand will add 100mm to the sump length but will also add aditional 200kg load on the stand - what do you think?

What thickness of metal are you using? Mine rests like that in between a layer of polystyrene but my stand is made of 50mm square bar. If you think of it mosts tanks rest similar to that.

Thx all for the advise etc.
I'm in limbo now, sitting around waiting for the stuff to come to me.
Hope to have the glass for the sump soon and will then do the sump build, going to wait for the sump outer shell before buying the skimmer and return pump so i can do a good fit to get a big dsb.
Currently searching for a place that supply marine-ply, places I'v been to know what i talk about but they don't sell it.
Must also figure out what I'm going to do about lights as the ones from the shops are to expensive at this time.
O yes,
the frame will be 38 sq tubing with center brace and center legs front and back with six adjustible feet, will get some 'bin feet' from a place my wife's company uses, this is to spread the load over a bigger area on each leg, it looks like an inverted saucer and you put it underneath each leg.

Back
Top Bottom