Neil's first reef tank

@ Neil - Tank is looking great man, that trigger is a beaut!

@ Slagter - try running airstones in your sump to help oxygenate the water more. The cyano should give in to that.

Otherwise you can also try:

Skimming wetter
run carbon and P04 remover
Stop dosing products with iodine (if you are
try chemi-clean (AS A LAST RESORT)

hope you get rid of the devils snot ( :lol: )

No updates to give sadly... Battling with red cyano on the walls of the tank, but luckily it's not on any of the rock or corals... It's terrible stuff...

Glad i'm not the only battling it. Seagel here we come

I am skimming wet as it is. So I'll replace the Carbon and Purigen. I bought some Matrix Carbon, I'll add that tonight. I'll try the airstones in the sump as well... But surely your skimmer adds loads of oxygen to the water?

Sorry to disrupt your thread like this Neil...

No problem, I have the exact same problem ;)

On the plus side, I got a big rock with lumo green zoas from IM last week. So far so good....

@ Neil - Tank is looking great man, that trigger is a beaut!

@ Slagter - try running airstones in your sump to help oxygenate the water more. The cyano should give in to that.

Otherwise you can also try:

Skimming wetter
run carbon and P04 remover
Stop dosing products with iodine (if you are
try chemi-clean (AS A LAST RESORT)

hope you get rid of the devils snot ( :lol: )

One thing i left out that does sometimes help (depending on the cause of the cyano)

Increase water flow in the DT

12000 lph ie 4 3000lph SunSuns plus the sump return (around 1000lph) should be enough in my eyes?

You should be aiming for about 30-40x turnover for softies and LPS and 60x and above for SPS

By my calcs, its around the 45X mark. I think in my case its either DOC's, P04, low Redox or a combo of all 3

yeah. people tend to say "just up your flow". It does help, but its definately not the be all and end all solution

i did lots of regular water changes,siphoning out most of the cyano every time and eventually after about 6 weeks i won the battle.

good luck with yours,cyano is shit,just don't give up.:kangakiller:

Some updated pics. Got a big rock with lumo green Zoas from IM, Hammer, Yellow Monti and GSP from teez

IMG_2415Medium.jpg

Pincushion I got from Adee. I swear its doubled in size since I got it
IMG_2391Medium.jpg

GSP
IMG_2398Medium.jpg

Yellow Monti
IMG_2401Medium.jpg

7 heads in total
IMG_2420Medium.jpg

IMG_2394Medium.jpg

IMG_2435Medium.jpg

Will post update pics a bit later, need to do my WC and clean the glass...

Male trigger isn't eating at the moment. Maybe need to start feeding frozen foods again. Got two scissortails yesterday, one managed to jump through the glass sliders and the other one is AWOL :(

Back
Top Bottom