Need urgent electrical help

Reaction score
I have wired up my T5 lights yesterday afternoon and have a problem with 4 out of the 6 lights.

The lights come on and then 7 seconds later switches off by itself.

here is a photo of the balast I have used.

These are electronic ballasts so I assume that they do not need starters?

22654bcacc7037d33.jpg

Between connection 5 and 6 there is a little star. What does this signify??

22654bcacc95c5680.jpg

The lights I have installed are all brand new and are as follows

3 X HO 54W 12000k
2 X HO 54W Actinic
1 X HO 54W Coral Blue

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but are you using 3 ballasts?

I also see those ballasts are for T8 lights. You need T5HO ballasts.

OK I see what you are saying. Need to go out and change ballast for T5. Did not even pick that up.

Thanks Viper, Manic and Franssny.

Oh how we miss the obvious sometimes. :(

better that u know the prob now than later:peroni:

I have wired up my T5 lights yesterday afternoon and have a problem with 4 out of the 6 lights.

The lights come on and then 7 seconds later switches off by itself.

here is a photo of the balast I have used.

These are electronic ballasts so I assume that they do not need starters?

22654bcacc7037d33.jpg

Between connection 5 and 6 there is a little star. What does this signify??

22654bcacc95c5680.jpg

The lights I have installed are all brand new and are as follows

3 X HO 54W 12000k
2 X HO 54W Actinic
1 X HO 54W Coral Blue

Thanks

Hi Manta

To answer your asterisk question there's a little asterisk underneath the table saying "keep hot wires short";)

I don't quite understand something, they say "keep wires short" - umm, wouldn't the ballast be right next to the globes, if not in a housing right by them?? Or is this for the DIY type who would want to try put the ballasts in another room or something?? I figured that the label in my understanding to be a bit of a strange one - so much so that in my installation I felt confused in that how could I get them any shorter, gees, my wires are like 1/2-1m max, it is just the supply wires which re long obviously to reach the plug point...just my strange observation on the electronic balsts

I don't quite understand something, they say "keep wires short" - umm, wouldn't the ballast be right next to the globes, if not in a housing right by them?? Or is this for the DIY type who would want to try put the ballasts in another room or something?? I figured that the label in my understanding to be a bit of a strange one - so much so that in my installation I felt confused in that how could I get them any shorter, gees, my wires are like 1/2-1m max, it is just the supply wires which re long obviously to reach the plug point...just my strange observation on the electronic balsts

Hehe I'm also not quite sure what they exactly mean by that, just pointed it out:p

I have T5 lights that have 2 / 3M on them after the ballast they are bought like this from the lighting shop.

I think some people would want to run a ballast in the roof out the way if they could your 1M distance would not cause any issues

Thanks for all responses guys. Will have to go shopping again

Thanks for the replies guys. I have purchased new ballast today. Wired it up and all hunky dory.

Now I can see all the GHA ver clearly and will have to do something drastic soon. Was thinking of learing out the whole tank and starting again. Been battling with this for the past three months.

Back
Top Bottom