Need advice Please

JDV

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Need advice please, As you know by now I am a newbie, I would like to know which will be the best way to go with my sump NP Pellets or DSB, which will be the better option in the long run? I have 1.2x450x450 DT, sump is 900x380x325.

Sump might be too small for a DSB after you allocate space for a skimmer and return chamber. Many people have had good experiences with the pellets so it could be a good option if you do it properly with the use of a decent reactor designed for pellets.

That is what I was scared off that sump might be too small for a DSB and what I read on MASA they don’t seem to be effective. Now I need help with the below 2 questions

1. What reactor and media can I use that will not break the bank.
2. How long can I run the tank without the reactor with only skimmer and live with 10 or 20% WC weekly?

Currently my tank is running with dead rock being seeded with live rock and dosing with stability. I am planning to let the tank run for at least 2 to 3 months before adding livestock.

Hey JDV - have a look at how the guys run algae scrubbers over their DSB which also assists with nutrient export. I have a small dsb but my bioload is going to be small. I have some caulerpa/chaeto aswell which will make a diff - or so I hope.

I will move onto NP reactor if the DSB doesnt work, but decided to try it rather than can the idea.

Good luck - will follow the thread to see pans out...

You could try the liquid carbon dosing method. Various ways on how to do that from the off the shelf prodibio system to the vodka dosing with a bacteria source of your choice. I think @Tony runs his tank purely on carbon dosing.

Yes pellets is also a form of carbon dosing but since you cant quite get the correct setup for the pellets the liquids might be a stop gap.

Unfortunately the decent reactors and media will cost you some bucks. Most likely in the range of R2000 for a reactor and pellets. This is the reason why many people try and make their own reactors but I am not always sure of their effectiveness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks for the advice guys, I think this is what I am going to do as a mid, short term plan. I am going to go for a play sand DSB for now not craze about the idea due to silica that could leech in the water and keep on dosing with stability. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on aragonite and then remove it again after a year or so the stuff is expensive!!! :(

Cool, no problem I have no problem taking it slowly finances needs to recover.

I've always found bacteria to work. I've kept ULNS systems just with bacteria and daily carbon dosing. If you look at it logically, millions of bacteria can be on a grain of sand so how much surface area is there in the tank to house a strong biological filter. It is also the cheapest biological filter with the lowest maintenance except a bit of vodka a day

Thanks for the info Tony, just an update on this, I bought play sand yesterday wand washed the crap out of it, the backyard looked like a swimming pool when I was done the two sausage dogs loved it. Its amazing how light the sand gets when you wash it a few 100 times. Now I just need a donor cup in CPT to seed it with.

Seed it with bacteria. Take a syringe with stability and inject in into the deep part of the DSB in a few places. SOme of the strains will die but some that are needed there will survive and flourish. Guys that give you a cup of bacteria usually give it from the top which doesnt contain the anaerobic bacteria needed but rather nitrifying bacteria, so the bacteria additions will do the same thing.

Just remember to turn your skimmer off overnight when adding bacteria so the bulk doesnt get sucked out and it has time to develop. Bacteria in salt water need at least 12 hours to get going

I have 1.2x450x450 DT, sump is 900x380x325.
I had the same setup for a while. And it worked.
10944c8db2a4b8c3d.jpg

That was a temp setup and run successfully.

Last edited:
yes love the auqascape, ok cool, just to confirm then seeding my DSB with stability will work?

wow @RiaanP, I did not relise your DT was only std 4ft! fantastic auqascape you did

Not anymore....
now a double display 350L and 220L combo.

Still have a 750L standing empty... :(

but SOON.... hopefully in about 6 months.... then I will have my new place sorted and I can UPGRADE!!!

You can inject the DSB a few times.

Back
Top Bottom