Mysis shrimp in a reef tank

JP

Reaction score
a few weeks ago i started noticing small pod like critters in my new setup, and was stuck trying to ID them... a fellow hobbyest guided me on the right search path, and they turn out to be Mysis relicta aka Opossum shrimp (by the looks of it, there are so many types, but these seems to get moreand more and stay small)
has anyone else here got experience with them in a reef tank? are they commonly found in tanks like copepods and amphipods? (of wich ive got millions..)
they stay in a big group under the eggcrate that supports the LR structure, and they are very sensitive to bright light, scattering if you shine a torch on them

anyone with experience to share on them...?

found some pics on the net that match what ive seen in the tank

the realy small ones seem to look like this:
2207837426_fc5072f50e.jpg

the larger swarms of "adults" look like this:
40M0466-09-mysid-shrimp.jpg

they are quite common in certain reef tanks especially those with macro algae and are a good sign of healthy fauna and flora in the aquarium they also provide nutritious live food to the small fishes which find them, they are usually found in the shadowy areas or sumps of aquariums.

My own tank has a small population which is easier to see in the evening with a torch.

Back
Top Bottom