Urgent help needed My Torch is dieing

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by MaximusZA, 21 Oct 2013.

1. MaximusZA

13 May 2013

Hi guys,

My torch coral has not been doing well for a while, it had times where it perked up and then it would sulk again. I have had it for about 6 weeks. its never been closed up but its always look limp, if that makes any sense. So I in an effort to try and get it happy, I corrected the KH so its at 10.5 dkh and i moved it to the bottom of the tank cause i thought it was getting to much flow and light. then it seemed really happy and some of it still does but some heads look like they withering away :(. I don't know what to do. I did a water change but it only seemed to make it worse. I don't know if its Brown Slim disease, it doesnt look like it but i have no idea. My param seems really good so i dont know whats wrong.

Salinity 1.025
    Ph 8.4
    Kh 10.5
    nitrate 5ppm
    ammonia 0ppm
    nitrite 0 ppm
    Calcium 400
    phosphate 0ppm
    temp 25

here is a pic i took now.

Edit: sorry guys i should have done a search before i posted. It does look like Brown slim. unfortunately its to late now to get a dip :( but I will go first thing tomorrow. If I have to cut off the head, i have no idea how to? do i take a hack sore to the skeleton or do i just take off the flesh off the skeleton? is it hard to cut off?
    Last edited: 21 Oct 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jclaas

3 Sep 2012

@MaximusZA have you considered increasing your temperature to 27? I keep my tank at 27.
    Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Bendor

20 Aug 2011
    Just suck the dead tissue out with airline tubing. Head for head as it dies. I am left with only on torch head from brown jelly months ago. Still going strong all on it's own.
  5. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer

8 Aug 2013

this is a common issues I also face;

in these situations I always try and find the source of the necrosis.
    Take a really good look at the coral, hold it in ur fingers, in the tank obviously, and see if the good polyps are affected at all.

I usually assume its water quality if the tissue slowly receeds into the skeleton. but that whole polyp is rotted.

Worst case scenario, some kind of microbial infection or pest that you cant see, dipping it is a option I guess.
  6. jimilutz

17 Jan 2013
    I have the same one and mine was also losing heads due to brown jelly. I sucked the dying flesh out with a turkey baster. After losing a few heads, I noticed flatworms on it. They were the same colour as the base of the coral and initially looked to me to be a piece of coraline algae. I now take the coral out every few weeks and pick the flatworms off.The sign that I need to harvest is when one head refuses to extend for a few days. I also have a hammer and a frogspawn but the flatworms avoid them. I bought a six line wrasse as people say they eat flatworms, but after having him for 6 months I have never even seen him close to the torch.
Recent Posts