My sump idea - your comments

neo

Reaction score
Hi,
with some posts about water movement, water circulation, dsb contact time etc. i came up with the following idea, what you think?

Instead of the normal:
overflow - skimmer - dsb - return
type of sump why not have the overflow go directly into the return chamber with a big return pump so you have lots of water going through your DT.
Then you have a small 300l/h pump also from the return chamber pumping water to the skimmer chamber, so you have small flow through the skimmer and dsb back into the return chamber but big flow through the DT - return chamber.

Tagging along on this one.

if i can use a big return to get a lot of water moving through the DT then i can remove my pumps in the DT for a neater look.

So you want to use your overflow as a "Closed Loop" entry point.
Can work, why not, but if you want a closed loop, get a proper closed loop.

Big return pumps uses more wattage W than smaller powerheads that delivers the same amount of flow. And loosing out on delivery due to head height.

But a closed loop do not loose out due to head height.

if i can use a big return to get a lot of water moving through the DT then i can remove my pumps in the DT for a neater look.

I agree with RiaanP, rather do a proper closed loop system!
And yes, your tank will look a lot better with all the pumps removed and not so maintenance intensive as power heads usually are!

Back
Top Bottom