My Old 4ft Reef Attempt Upgrade

It works really well, I thought it would make a horrendous mess and be total carnage, but was surprised, you do get a few small bits fly off but nothing like I thought it would be like.

Reactions: EFJ
Received a call today from the glass shop, according to the wholesalers rep, if you cant see the scratch from 3m away it does not count as a scratch and therefore they wont be able to replace my glass. So I went and picked it up. Just going to use it now as is.

I will refuse to take it...

If they can produce glass for windows without a single scratch on I find it hard to believe they can't do the same for your piece.

I will refuse to take it...

If they can produce glass for windows without a single scratch on I find it hard to believe they can't do the same for your piece.

I was thinking the same thing, I mean how difficult can it be not to scratch the F@#$ing glass. We spend 1000's on the best glass cleaners there is, but whats the point.

Ok so I inspected the glass panel tonight and decided that I cant live with those scratches. The whole point of this build was to create my dream tank so I'm going to stick with that. Would you guys recommend PG glass? They were the most expensive on the quote list. The way I see it now is that I would rather pay more and get a great product.

Here are some pics of the sump build.

20160611_095721.jpg

Applied the masking tape with a 10mm gap. Used toothpics as spacers only on the bottom.

20160611_095731.jpg

Close up.

20160611_101636.jpg

First 2 panels clamped in place.

20160611_101647.jpg

Here you can see the gap between the glass panels, I made the approximately 1.5mm.

20160611_104313.jpg

Entire tank clamped up. Ready for silicone injection.

20160611_122112.jpg

And this is the seam. No bubbles anywhere.

Will let the silicone cure for 2 days and the trim of the excess silicone. Also will inject the gaps where the toothpics are situated. Still need to buy the baffles.

Overall im completely overwhelmed with the ease and perfection of this method. No rush, No fuss, and no bubbles

Small update. I ordered the glass for the refugium and the sump baffles. Will receive it on Friday. The silicone on the sump has been cleaned off. Also removed the toothpick spacers between the glass panels and injected those spots, it came out very nice.

Hey guys. Sump is almost done.

Ran into some trouble with the remote refugium tank. I received the glass last week and got it drilled. When I started building the tank I noticed that they cut the glass to the wrong size. I have cut glass before with great success and thought I could correct the issue. This did not go as plan and ended up breaking the drilled panel. Anyway will post pics of the sump progress. Will order the glass for the refugium at the end of this month as well as the new front panel for the display tank from PG glass. My patience is starting to wear thin.

Back
Top Bottom