My office nano

Reaction score
So my bigger system is up and running and was itching to start a smaller nano for my office (I think it qualifies as a nano) , but planning on keeping it pretty simple for now.

So I got a basic 3 foot tank which I converted into an all in one system with two compartments on the side. Dimensions: 91L x38H x32cm. I used a black piece of acrylic to separate and also had to brace the tank as well just for safety. Only 5mm glass. Was bowing a bit, but bracing sorted it out.

One compartment will be the return with a media tray that I made from egg crate, that will have some floss, seachem pond matrix, carbon and maybe phosguard or something if needed. Then for the first chamber I'm still torn between having a small skimmer or some chaeto. I have a Berlin airlift 60 skimmer I took of my other system that I can use, but wondering whether chaeto will be a better option. Any opinions there? Don't want to spend the bucks at this stage on a new nano skimmer. It's a nice size chamber, 15x 16x 35cm.

The return is a hailea 700l/h pump so will give about 6 or 7 times turn over through filter compartment. Anyone know where I can find a loc line nozzle in Port Elizabeth? Still need to work out if I'm gonna drill it into the wall or just come over.

Lighting I have dual 24w t5 unit. Want to eventually go led. Anyone have experience with using 10w floodlight with 10w aquarium chips in them? Improved Living here in PE has these chips.

http://www.improvedlivingpe.com/#!/...l-white-LED-chip/p/36855523/category=18669040

http://www.improvedlivingpe.com/#!/...ue-&-UV-LED-chip/p/62662642/category=18669040

Was thinking maybe 4 of them. Probably just one with UV. Any opinions here welcome. I'm running t5 on my other system so new to LEDs. I have four 10w flood lights that I bought for R99 each at game. I knew they would possibly come in handy sometime, even for a refugium or something.

For flow I got a Jebao RW4.

Substrate I have a 10kg bag of Red Sea reef base in reef pink. And I ordered 9kgs of Caribsea primo reef rock. Might take one or two pieces from my other tank to help the cycle process, or just keep some of he matrix in my sump for a while and use it to seed the new tank. Not sure how long that will take though.

Stocking I'm not sure yet. Will stick to softies and maybe some LPS like euphyllias.

And some pictures obviously of the process :)

56de6e9be064ec53df5ba18952a6e8f0.jpg

0b9947c62b29f4a97961b6af5ad7df55.jpg

98e65f2ce4727558b6e0ed3d28ce4fcb.jpg

The pictures were before I did the bracing. Still planning on doing some wood trimming and cover the filtration side.

Any input is more than welcome!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Display area volume is about 85 litre if I'm not mistaken.

nice little office tank. :thumbup:

One compartment will have chaeto or a small skimmer, the other will have floss, seachem pond matrix, carbon and maybe phosguard or something.

Rocks came today. Some very cool pieces. Now the scaling begins. Opinions needed.

Option A
61e1032b6b16f403d4d292142c0dae84.jpg

Option B
3bfcb5d75ceb27f2fa7b035d98895871.jpg

This is not as easy as one would think!

I'm not a fan of the rock in the far right in B. Very awkward shape. I might just drill it a bit to get a nice big cave going. Got this deep hole that's closed and the other side is totally flat. So can't put it on the flat side or it will just be a hole filling up with detritus.

I Have 3 10w Royal blue over my 4ft with some 3w and 1w the 10w is almost overkill but give an awesome effect.

It's in my office and it's wet! Bit cloudy at the moment. No to start cycle. I have a bottle of special blend that I bought for my previous tank, but never used it. Any recommendations, should I use it and how?

20c4f79d1fb897b0c2b5d5dd711f4e17.jpg

I've used it, and I still do. I followed the instructions on the bottle. Pretty easy.

I don't know if you should not use it, I know I will use it on any tank I may start going forward.

I bought it about 3 months ago. Added some last night, it had little flakey bits in it. I think it might be too old. Whoops. It's caked on the inside of the bottle. Is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom