My dream tank - 75000 l tank...

Reaction score
Ok guys,
Before you get all excited, and wondering where the heck the pictures are - this is my "dream tank"...
And this may only become to life when I win the lotto, or become insanely rich by what ever means.....So it's highly unlikely that something like this will EVER happen - thus this will stay a "dream tank".

You see - I have a swimming pool with a capacity of +-75000l. The thing is - the pool is really not being used that often any more - it's just there - costing us money.

So I've being thinking (ok this is dangerous - I know) how much will it cost to convert this +- 15m x 3.5m x 1.5m pool into a small coral reef?

The highest cost that I will foresee in a venture like this is:
1. To heat this volume of water up to 26 degrees - and keep it 26 degrees...(solar panels will work, so a once of cost?)
2. Salt - holy crp - how much will it cost to mix 75000l of salt using RO water...?
3. LR - will need a couple of tons of this....

But just think about it - one can scuba everyday in your own back yard....
(So maybe if anyone who is insanely rich, and willing to sponsor a project like this...you can contact me...I'm waiting in suspense....:lol::lol::whistling:)oh - I will allow you a monthly free entry in to "the reef"...:yeahdude:

hehe, it would be as expensive as you think.... because of the large volume you could get away with more...
in singapore they have marine ponds, pretty cool.
use geothermal heating, the biggest expense would be the roof, like a green house

All of the cool stuff is in foreign countries like USA, Dubai et cetera...
Just look at the tanks those guys have - and the public aquariums....:(

ushaka is cool, so is 2 oceans :)
they also have a 1000times more people

ushaka is cool, so is 2 oceans :)
they also have a 1000times more people
True - but the closest of these two are 600km away from me....:(

That's why I want to move something like this to my back yard....:)

damn...it's hard to wake up sometimes....:(

hehe, the cost would be RO water, but then if one used normal water and left it for a while without livestock for a few months it would work...

i know i will come visit and accidently add 1000kgs of marine salt to your pool

hehe, the cost would be RO water, but then if one used normal water and left it for a while without livestock for a few months it would work...

i know i will come visit and accidently add 1000kgs of marine salt to your pool
:) You just won your self a monthly free entry to scuba in my little inland reef!!!:thumbup:
(ok - make it four free entries a month...:lol:)

But just think about it - one can scuba everyday in your own back yard....

Raven,

That would be absolutely awesome !!!

OK, so let's take this dreamy idea a bit further.

LR you would need approx 7500 kg's (If I work on Kenyan) @ R 105/kg = R 787 500.00

So then for the salt water mix : Salt needed ( If I use Real Ocean) @ R 150 to make 180liters , you would need approx 416 bags which will cost R 62 500.00

OR

You can arrange for a water tanker to just bring up from the coast some NSW. Might be cheaper. :lol:

Substrate to create a base of at least 200mm : From your pool dimensions your surface area would be approx 53 sqm. Using playsand or similar you would need approx 1500 kg which will cost you R 2200.00 ( Cheap !!:p)

You'd need a roof of some sorts with translucent panelling ( convex lens to concentrate the rays even more) to allow as much natural sunlight through .

Skip the skimmer and run the system naturally, OR use the weir overflow to surface skim and leave the rest up to the LR.

Invest in some industrial centrifugal pumps . Geez... If I calculate this right you's need a water turnover of approx 30 times . That's 2 250 000 l/h :lol::lol:

So.... IF you could get your hands on approx R 1 500 000 , you should be able to have a fairly nice setup. ( Excluding corals & livestock)

So what's the problem mate ? Just take out a second bond ! :biggrin:

drop the LR, use normal tufa rock, and seed it, and besides i would lend a car and we can take tons of sea sand from rock pools etc...

just add 6-8 ppol pumps and we good....

we could use dairy tankers to get sea water...

this is going somewhere :)

Yip,

Pumps I could probably get sponsored from one of my customers , so the flow will be sorted.

How's about some of the sponsors donating in terms of bio rock , salt and substrate ... he he he.

But more seriously now : I have been toying with an idea to use an old collapsable pool ( 3000 liters) of mine to look at something like coral farming .
For now it's just an idea till I gain more knowledge on marines, but it is something interesting to contemplate.

Just wondering ...........:p

Man alive ! That is absolutely awesome !!!!!!!!

Those Idols are magnificant creatures indeed.

Gives me some very interesting options to consider .

BUT alas , I'll have to put these ideas on hold for now.
The missus will kill me if I start up another setup before completing my Nano and my 300 liter ( hopefully setting this up in May 2009).

As it is , I already have some grief from the missus 'cause I've been spilling water way too often all over her "precious " wooden floor with my little Nano everytime I fiddle with the tank. he he he

But it gives one some interesting perspective though .:thumbup:

Keep those dreams alive, you be surprised how quickly they can come true.

One mod you will have to include is a sub terrain lounge with a 4 x 2 metre wide viewing pane, cool sound system and well stock bar fridge

Warr,

You really got me thinking now, and that's bad news for my budget... he he

I think the second bond that I was looking at getting has just found it's purpose.

Now, to break this news to the missus ... he he

Oh well, nice to dream...... or maybe not to dream but to action ??:peroni:

"if you build it, they will come" - Field of Dreams

no need for lounge, i can train everyone to scuba

guys i think we always look at the cost and forget about something called patience.. if you packed base rock into the "pond it would become live and function as a filter in quite a short while.. as for the water.. id say this is the pricy part, short of hiring a bonita milk truck to cart for you.. i looked at converting a swimming pool once but it was on a farm which made getting water to it difficult because of the roads.. i saw a pond in port alfred owned by dennis schultz.. he had all sorts of coral (sps and other incl anemones) in this system.. the last water change he had done was 18 months prior to our visit... the down sise was the sps was brown but he has acros goiwing oit of the water.. only fatality was losing his moorish to a legevane.. i wish i still had pics.. it washeated by a 1kw heater on a thermostat but it barley came on.. skimming was done by a pump chopping water into a bucket.. there was no flow and the pool was stagnant.. he had disabled the pump which pulsed once or twice an hour.. a 1000w hailide on a sensor to detect if it was overcast (and then come on) was straped to a palm growing beside the pond... (about 2m ubove the pond housed in a large reflector)..

these things can be done on a budget and with very little effort but patience is the major ingriedient..

All true guys!!!
I think I will be able to come up with the budget, the plans to convert, over come the heating/cooling problems and all the other little issues.....

BUT the hardest part of this exercise would be to convince the other half that all the money that we've saved up for the house/kids to come/holidays/bread and milk must be used for a super sized marine pond......:)
I'll try...it's not going to be easy, but I'll try...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom