My DIY T5 setup

Reaction score
Hi all,

Some pics of my DIY T5 setup. I bought a roll of solid-core wire and went nuts. I use only 2 plugs which lead up to the back of the canopy - I run the "dusk/dawn effect" lights off the one, and the rest off the second. In this way there aren't scores of power cables running up to the ballasts, and I need only one plug per timer to run the 6 T5's (on 5 ballasts - one is a double).

I haven't got the correct globe combination yet, but I'm getting some globes any day now, to add some more actinics.

The solid-core wires were run across the back of the canopy too, and everything is tied together using cable ties (making sure the "correct" wires are tied together, and leaving some space for the "cable stretching" that would ensue if you made everything as short as possible and then tried to lift the canopy ;) )

It seems to work well, and is very tidy - previously I had two "big bulky units", which hung at the back of the canopy but was still very visible - now you only see them if you look for them - they don't stick out from behind the canopy at all.

The end-caps are tied with cable ties to screws turned in at the correct places. Also, the ballasts have been raised slightly off the wood of the canopy to ensure some air flow and cooling.

T5DIYa.jpg

T5DIYb.jpg

T5DIYc.jpg

solid vs flex

Nice diy dude.
i'm curious tho.. does the solid core make a big difference or not?
and if so how?
as in easier to use with the endcaps or more krag going to the tubes or both..??

I doubt te soid-core is for anything else than just being able to jam the wires into the end-caps and ballasts without having to solder them stiff first. Don't think it has anything to do with "krag" - at least I got them only since they jam in easily and I don't have a soldering iron.

Nice diy dude.
i'm curious tho.. does the solid core make a big difference or not?
and if so how?
as in easier to use with the endcaps or more krag going to the tubes or both..??

Back
Top Bottom