my diy MH & T5 hood uprgrade

Reaction score
So, the other day i got given a 150w MH fitting with 1400k bulb from a guy that own's a light/sound/gadget store. cos im gonna be looking for the shop for the past 3 weeks. you wont believe the prices of MH and T5's there!

anyways. the fitting is not a tank fitting and i have to fit it into my hood so i took the fitting apart to get the ballast, ignitor and endcaps ect.

i added 4 40mm fans to take the heat out instead of into my tank. the work very well

oh and please dont laugh at my T5 end caps :) lol was just testing the heat issue first :) putting proper ones tomoro.

iv still gotta add reflectors for the T5's and iv made a glass cover to fit over everything. this my progress so far:

16094a0892b11b037.jpg

16094a08933faa210.jpg

16094a089353a4aea.jpg

looks very good brent

nice reflector diy...but i have heard rumors that one needs to run it with the glass panel....something to do with the uv ? guys please correct me if im wrong?

Looks very good, what sort of cover do you have for that MH ?

thanks! 4mm glass.

looks very good brent

nice reflector diy...but i have heard rumors that one needs to run it with the glass panel....something to do with the uv ? guys please correct me if im wrong?

thanks! the bulb has a uv filter built in. but yes i am putting a glass cover over everything so the air can flow through over the bulbs.

just wanna know if i must maybe use tempered glass for the cover? iv made a cover out of normal glass and its being tested at the moment, the fans are pulling heat out but the radiant heat is heating the glass nearest the arc of the MH bulb. its gets quite hot, i cant touch it and i dont want it to shatter. will it shatter?

i would use tempered glass as a safety precaution.

could you show us what the MH looked like before you ripped it apart ?

Very nice work Brett, nothing wrong with those end caps, you'd be surprised how many people use those ;)

nice brett, i would rather use tempered glass, as the heat generated by the halide might just crack the 4mm. o and remember to wipe the cover glass clean every now and then.

Well done

Hey Brett,
Nice work on the lighting hood, please Pm me the name of that store as I am looking to re do my lighting hood as well.
Cheers

Very nice Brett! I would go for glass thicker than 4mm and has to be tempered glass.
Some years back on an old 4ft tank i tried using 6mm normal glass for 2*150W MH's, it cracked the glass.

ok cool so maybe 6mm tempered?

Very nice work Brett, nothing wrong with those end caps, you'd be surprised how many people use those ;)

haha just a mission to change the bulb:)

NICE Brett!!! What was the total cost?

well the fitting got given to me. but they sell for R380 with bulb. i used stainless sheeting for the reflectors which i had lying around, my dad brings offcuts from work.
my T5 ballast was R90 and R100 a bulb. fans were R35 each. and glass about 60 bucks. (that im getting tempered) so about R850 in total if i wasnt given anything.

Freaking Nice that a Great Job you have Done over there man

nice brett, i would rather use tempered glass, as the heat generated by the halide might just crack the 4mm. o and remember to wipe the cover glass clean every now and then.

Well done

ok will do:) thanks :thumbup:

Hey Brett,
Nice work on the lighting hood, please Pm me the name of that store as I am looking to re do my lighting hood as well.
Cheers

sure thing. will do asap.

i would use tempered glass as a safety precaution.

could you show us what the MH looked like before you ripped it apart ?

il take a pic asap. off to the shops quick to get some tempered glass:) lol

i just went to the shop here toti. she said i must wait a week for tempered glass because the cant cut it. have to order it in the size i want. is this true? or are the other places in durban that do it straight away? my tank has been without light the whole day!!!

i just went to the shop here toti. she said i must wait a week for tempered glass because the cant cut it. have to order it in the size i want. is this true? or are the other places in durban that do it straight away? my tank has been without light the whole day!!!

in slummies we have to order it cut to size, no supplier.
Durbs is bigger so maybe you will come right.

Back
Top Bottom