My 6-Foot Mixed Reef

Expensive rack:whistling:
You're damn right! Not sure if I'll do this again with a future setup... The idea was to attach a small pump to the rack to ensure some flow under the rocks. So I attached a small (1000lph) pump which was housed in the overflow chamber. Didn't really make a difference, think I drilled too many holes and should have used a bigger pump for this. Decided to not do the "mini cls" thing when the pump in the overflow chamber continued siphoning water back and caused a mini flood. Should have used that money for another fish instead...

:lol: I know what you mean. I did the same about 2 years ago with all the left over pipes and fittings. Only realized afterward how much it cost, and you need a huge pump to get water through

:lol: I know what you mean. I did the same about 2 years ago with all the left over pipes and fittings. Only realized afterward how much it cost, and you need a huge pump to get water through
Yip, not worth it IMHO. Next time I'll simply use egg crate under the sand and pack the rocks on there.

I use short lenghts of 50mm PVC pipe to lift the rock off the bottom. Do not have them connected up to any pump or CLS system. It gives me that bit of extra height. A bit of extra space underneath the rock for gobies and hermits Less settlement and better waterflow around the rocks. And it spread the weight of the rock better. I put a small piece of rock in front of the pipe where you can see it to hide it. And as it is off cuts, it is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Chas, this tank is not an old setup, not at your place. Where does the rock comes from. Was it still in use when you bought the tank? So basically you did a tank move. And it is not a new setup. Was the rock underwater all the time? If yes, then its OK. And I think your water parameters should all show 100%.

If parameters not OK, slow down on the stocking of livestock. Let the tank settle first.

That is exactly the same tank setup I started off with. The tank I took over from my brother. Nothing wrong with the tank itself, just remove the glass sliders. The cabinet is the problem. With the central divider in the middle, that seriously limits your sump size and layout. And that sump, 100% for fish only systems. I see your sump already lost its roof and front sliders. With it in place, it should have help prevent moisture build up inside the cabinet, preventing dew from damaging the cabinet.

But the back panel of the cabinet is already removed. That should help for the air ventilation.

37304cfdafeab2fec.jpg

Hope you did not glue this all together. So at least one day you can reuse all those fittings....

I use short lenghts of 50mm PVC pipe to lift the rock off the bottom. Do not have them connected up to any pump or CLS system. It gives me that bit of extra height. A bit of extra space underneath the rock for gobies and hermits Less settlement and better waterflow around the rocks. And it spread the weight of the rock better. I put a small piece of rock in front of the pipe where you can see it to hide it. And as it is off cuts, it is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Chas, this tank is not an old setup, not at your place. Where does the rock comes from. Was it still in use when you bought the tank? So basically you did a tank move. And it is not a new setup. Was the rock underwater all the time? If yes, then its OK. And I think your water parameters should all show 100%.

If parameters not OK, slow down on the stocking of livestock. Let the tank settle first.

That is exactly the same tank setup I started off with. The tank I took over from my brother. Nothing wrong with the tank itself, just remove the glass sliders. The cabinet is the problem. With the central divider in the middle, that seriously limits your sump size and layout. And that sump, 100% for fish only systems. I see your sump already lost its roof and front sliders. With it in place, it should have help prevent moisture build up inside the cabinet, preventing dew from damaging the cabinet.

But the back panel of the cabinet is already removed. That should help for the air ventilation.
I bought a few packs of PVC "couplings", but was a bit scared they'll topple. Now that I see the sand etc in place, it would have worked well. Hehe because this is my first time doing this, I was a bit short on off-cuts so I had to buy everything.

I bought the complete setup secondhand, it was running about 18months at the previous owner. The rock was underwater the whole time as far as I know. I am aware that the previous guy turned the lights, etc off about a month or so before I bought it. He only left a power head on to circulate the water. It has been set up at my place since about first week of October, so it's been going for about two months.

Water parameters are all ok and stable. As for stocking, I started with a CuC, and only recently added an urchin, then a few days later the 3 fish from my nano, etc. Taking it slow. The only reason I added the Scopas was because I read on another forum they've been spotted eating Bryopsis. He is doing well so far (added him on Sunday), and eating like a pig. He seems to be nipping at the Bryopsis...

Yip it is a great tank. Somehow just wish it had a better overflow. Getting a decent surface skim and trying to direct the power heads at the same time is a bit of a challenge. But I guess it's something I can decide on with a future setup.. I'm no fan of sliders, so they've already been removed (same with the covers for the sump).

That central divider in the stand is a real PITA. I'd still like toadd a decent, bigger sump when I can. Will hopefully move house in the next year or so, then I'll do that. For now, I have opted for an in-tank DSB, and will see how it works out. However, the sand bed is only about 10cm deep (deeper in some places, and shallower in others).

The cabinet is about 10cm from the wall and hasn't got a back panel. I experimented the other day by just putting a normal pedestal fan blowing in there, and the temp thing improved, so by doing it properly and permanently, I think a few smaller fans with nice vents on the sides of the cabinet should solve this problem.

Nice tank, any updated pics of the sump and tank, what changes have you made. Looking forwaed to some frags comming my way soon.

Just a long overdue update on my tank. It will be a year old in November, but I'm moving in two weeks time...

To date I've had the following hassles:

1.) Small fish going missing.

2.) High nitrates and phosphates. My sailfin died about two weeks ago and I had to go work so I couldn't take him out, and I think there are too many low flow nooks and crannies for food to get stuck in. I've also got a finger leather coral that looks like its been dying for about a month. I'll be fragging off the healthy parts tomorrow. I'd like to add a scrubber.

3.) High temp - chiller working overtime to keep temp at 26'C.

Pics to follow...

Some tank pics.

The LPS are a bit close together, but they're new additions and will be moved soon.

Left hand side:
c4d2dea5-c83d-2ae1.jpg

Middle:
c4d2dea5-c8b2-04f5.jpg

Right hand side:
c4d2dea5-c8d5-bf27.jpg

amuveber.jpg

Rescaped my tank over the last week. Finished today :)

Temp setup while renovating caused some losses but I'll recover. Praying for the phoenix effect to happen.

Back
Top Bottom