Mushrooms?

Reaction score
A while back I was given one of these as a brown hairy mushroom...
I placed it in the tank and within a day it had moved to one of the highest light / flow areas in the tank. (It happened to be between zoas. The zoas and the shrooms live happily together.)

I have quite a lot of different shrooms and I have never seen shrooms move as far or as quickly as these guys. Over the following months it split and now there's four of them. Over the weekend I removed one and put it in the frag tub. I noticed a couple of differences to the average shrroom. Have a look.

Top view

weirdshroomtopview.jpg

Foot 1

weirdshroomfoot.jpg

Foot 2

weirdshroomfoot2.jpg

They are not agressive and have not harmed any other corals so far. I would like to have a bit more info on these. Anybody that can help?

It looks and behaves more like an anemone.

interesting, never thought of that, is there a way to test? eg feeding the tenticles?

Anemone I thought along those lines, can it be?
Definately moves like a anemone and another interesting thing they stick rocks, frag plugs in seconds.

Dallas: Anytime, how do we get from CPT to you? I've never shipped coral before.

never done it eighter, will ask lanzo the best way
but i think its in a plastic bag, then in a small polystyrene box, and sent counter to counter via airports, will find out...

i will have some candy canes soon also if you are interested

Anemone I thought along those lines, can it be?
Definately moves like a anemone and another interesting thing they stick rocks, frag plugs in seconds.

Yes, it can be. Can you place it on the bottom of the tank, in front, let it open up and take another pic? I'll see if I can get an ID on it.

Mushrooms and Anemones are in the same family. The foot is making me lean more towards an anemone.

thanks, learnt something new

i see what you mean by the "foot"

Anemone I'll try and get some better pics tomorrow, lights out in the frag tub at the moment.
The first thing I noticed when I removed this one was the different foot, does not look like any of the shrooms I have.
I've also noticed that the mouth is flat on the disc it does not look like the mouth of a normal shroom.
The "hairs" do not grow all the way to the mouth like normal rhodactis mushrooms, there is a "bald" ;) spot around the mouth.

looks like a variant of Heteractis-aurora or Stichodactyla-tapetum

having looked further maybe Discosoma sanctithomae

OK more photos.

These are top down shots of the ones in the my DT at the moment, unfortunately it is not possible to move the rock they are on.

Top_view_2.jpg

Top_view_3.jpg

top_view_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom