Muricidae Snail - Warning

RiaanP

Reaction score
Just a warning,

These are local snail as well. And I did see a couple at a LFS.
I got my a couple and later got more info. Anyway, mine are now all sumped.

They are "reef safe" as in they will not attack your corals, zoa and other softies.

I got the photo from Morula (Morula) musiva
10944a81297f9586d.jpg

And from Wikipedia
Most species of muricids are carnivorous, active predators that feed on other gastropods, on bivalves, and on barnacles. The access to the soft parts of the prey is typically obtained by boring a hole through the shell by means of a softening secretion and the scrapping action of the radula. Because of their carnivorous way of life, some especies may be considered pests, as they may cause considerable destruction in exploited natural beds, and also in areas of culture of commercial bivalves.

I found a small mussel looking shell on my substrate, and it had a little hole in the shell.

ooops i think i have lots of them in my tank I'll have to take a closer look at them and take some pictures to ID them ,thanks for the heads up Riaan.

And here is the proof, actually victims with the culprit. The Muricidae is the one bottom left. With a variety of victims. It even attached a harder shell Turbo coronatus, check in the centre.

10944aaca673bbd17.jpg

10944aaca6865e89f.jpg

wow, great fotos, thanks, amazing to see the drilled hole they do, anyone know HOW they drill into the shell like that? maybe sihaya will know?

Basically, they lick it. They got a rough tongue, if you can call it that. It takes them a few hours.

interesting I saw last week at a LFS (not a sponser) some, and told him what it is. He was quite surprise and said he gets them as algae eaters. That is what the importers or wherever he gets them told him.

And I also saw some at another LFS, this time one of our sponsors, and according to them they are reef safe. Yeah sure, they will not eat our coral, but your clean up crew is at risk.

Great to read this thread. Thanks Riaan.

i collected a few of these locally, did know they where a pest and added them to the tank, my hermits killed them though

damn these guys got hectic licking actions,hope they cant "drill" thru glass

Seems a few guys where lucky enough to go down to the coast. For those still going over the next couple of long weekends. Please, do not collect these

We get them here as well and I have two in my sump and they have killed a few of the mussels I collect to feed my fish in the sump.

Time to bump this thread.

I saw over the weekend some of these baddies at a LFS. Told the owner what they were and he was very grateful for informing him. Not naming. But if he got them in, most likely a lot of other shops did as well.

These do great in the freezer for two weeks. Then they are excellent hermit food. Plus the hermits would reuse their shells, well, that's obviously dependable on the size of your hermits... Duh!

Last edited:
Reactions: Baz
Back
Top Bottom