moving a tank

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I am moving house in the next week or so. Basically not even a 5min drive from where I am currently staying.

What my plans are is to put all the water and corals and live rock in drums, fish in bags. My concern is will I have a mini cycle that could cause stress and kill my fish and corals.

I have recently purchased a copper band about a day ago and I found out I can move into my new place this week.

I was going to put all the old water back or should I put new water in? I was also going to dose special blend while adding the fish incase of die off.

Any suggestions will help

Hi,

I have moved twice in one year with my tank and live stock. It's a mission but not impossible. To be on the safe side allow one full day of move for your tank only. How big is your setup?

Mine is only a 60cm cube and it took me one full day to move each time. Big thing is don't pannic and stress.
What I did and it worked for me:

Took those big jim plastic containers - 4 of them. First siphoned out water from my tank into one container then took out corals and live rock. Put them into one container with battery operated air pump.
Therafter siphoned out more water into second container. In there put my anemones and some of the live rock. Also with a battery operated air pump.

The third smaller container was for the fish. I caught them one by one. Bagged one by one with air.

I then siphoned out the rest of the water and substrate and used the fourth large container for this.

I deasembled the tank and equipment. Packed everything on the back of a bakkie with blankets for tank and sump protection. I tried to salvage as much water as possible but you will loose about 15%.

My tank didnt cycle after the move but each system is different and will react differently. It should be fine if you salvage as much water as possible and have extra water ready when you reasemble the tank.

What I've learnt is to stay calm and everything will be ok.:thumbup:

Depends on your system. I have moved successfully with a sump in tact. Standard bioball, skimmer type sump. No real issue. Do not put dwarf angels in "murky" new remixed water, they will die. Keep as much original water as possible.

Best is if you have sump, keep all in tack, get a separate container, link to sump. Get all live stock in temporary, move and wait for display to be ready. Seachem stability will also help

I see you have a 200lt Juwel tank. It's not massive so you'll be able to do it with a couple of extra hands. Believe me they come in handy.

Is you copperband eating at the moment? I'm kinda worried about the copperband as they are very delicate fish. What other live stock have you got?

And as you said dose with Microbelift after the move because you will loose about 25 litees of water on your size tank. You can see it as a water change you'll have to do.

You more than likely will have some cycle however you just need to add some bacteria annd all should be fine. I would rathe place the fish in a large bucket with a heater to maintain the temp and an air pump for proper aeration of the water. A big salt bucket will be fine. Depending on the water volume I would modify the lid so that the fish cant jump. This will allow you the required time to move your tank.

Very soon in same scenario. How did you guys keep temperature in check or should I not worry. 1 hour drive to new place.

Very soon in same scenario. How did you guys keep temperature in check or should I not worry. 1 hour drive to new place.

you can place fish in poly boxes, can get from westpac or your lfs

I have moved several of my reef tanks. I found success doing so by putting all my live rock in to barrels place coral in bags unless sps that I put into plastic containers then I bag fish. Patience and taking your time like everyone has mentioned. I personally take this time to replace my substrate. I once moved my sandbed and because of stirring it up from the move found my nitrates dangerously high. So I now get rid of it or clean it and dry it out for later use and buy new sand or crushed coral as it won't take long for your live rock to reseed it. Yes try and keep your fish coral and inverts temperature as stable as possible. This will also be a great time to do a good though cleaning of your sump something which I do a few times a year. You will have a small cycle but with seachems stability or brightwells microbacter7 you shouldn't have any lost of any live stock. I also keep 60 to 70% of my water and the rest I make new. I haven't lost any coral doing so this way and have helped move many reef tanks over my years in the hobby. Good luck don't worry too much about it. If you have a friend who could house your copperband that may be a better choice for him for the move.

Hey all. sorry I am only replying now. its been hectic at work and I dropped my phone in the move. Lets say its not working any more.

So all is done and tank is up and running, lost two fish and a cleaner shrimp in the process but everything else seems fine. params look normal after a week now. did a bit of a rescape, will up load photo tomorrow on my tank thread. so got some extra live rock. thought the tank was a bit over crowded last time round

Back
Top Bottom