Moving a nano tank

Lady Inferno

Reefer for life
Reaction score
Hi guys

I bought a RSM130D tank a few weeks ago from some one on this forum, then a week ago saw another RSM130D but full set up with LS , need help please ! My one tank now is empty but for substrate and water, but it's had 3 weeks cycling, will pick up new tank and LS next week, should I move the LR and fish/coral to my existing set up, or do I just do the whole tank set up move, so pack up at the seller and then come home and recreate that tank?

Any advise welcome thx!

My one tank now is empty but for substrate and water, but it's had 3 weeks cycling
There is nothing in the tank to cycle. If new aragonite or playsand, there is no bacteria or dead organisms. If natural seasand, yes then maybe. As you added no rock that might have dead things inside the rock, there is nothing to cycle.

You can do a tank move. Everything from the second tank into your first. I would however drain 70 to 80% of the water in the first tank. And fill up with water from second tank before moving the rock, corals and fish. The water taken out can then be used to refill the second tank. Move the filter sponges etc from second tank to the first tank.

Can do a test on the second tank substrate. If very dirty or you do not want it, then keep the substrate you got in the first tank. If you want to keep the substrate of the second tank, then remove the substrate in the first tank when you remove the 80% water. Move second tank substrate over after adding at least 50% water from second tank and before moving the rock.

Thx:)

Sorry forgot to add there is LR in my tank ;)

Been following the advise of the guys at Idol Marine, so I added nice bacteria in and put in a pinch of food every so often, I am hoping its cycling otherwise would have been wasting my time :) regards n

Hi just a quick update decided to jump right in and move the tank from seller to me, put LR fish and purple tip anemones into 2x 25l buckets , put that in bin liners so water won't splash :) all water in drums, I had made some ro water before hand so was prepared to top up the tank.

Came home and set up in record time, as I saved all the water from seller I was careful to put the water over the sand without clouding the water, so all was well, it's now almost a week and the nennies are bigger than ever . See pic attached, either I was very lucky or I did not mess up too badly for a newbie:)

image.jpg

Last edited:
Thank u @shan

I did check and it's fine, I feel so good , I know you guys are probably old hands at it but for me this is like an accomplishment, especially as the nennies are fine fish are fine:)

Actually maybe I should ask, how long actually till the tank settles, it's only been a week, can things still go wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi have a cleaner wrasse, a tomatoe clown fish, a dragon wrasse and a leopard wrasse

Also have two hermits and two snails, there are two nennies in at the time of this pic one decided to take a slide to the other side :) both are huge healthy and beautiful.

Sorry forgot to mention the wrasse' s especially the dragon( my daughter calls him Dennis the menace ) mostly play in the sand, Dennis kicks up a lot of sand looking for his fav spot to hide in:) so they hide when I get too close to the tank

Back
Top Bottom