Most critical piece of equipment in a power failure

Reaction score
Hi all

What would be the consensus in terms of equipment in keeping your tank alive when we experience power failures and why?
Return pump?
Circulation in tank via power heads?
Temperature?
Etc?

Depends how much you willing to spend and also for what sort of periods are you talking. Couple of hours ain't going kill off the bacteria, but a couple of days is another story.

Powerheads or an airpump needs less power than a return pump, so keep this in mind.

If you have a sump I would say a return pump, then you'll get some flow through the sump as well ;)

I second that, a return pump...

If you have the budget yes the return pump makes sense, it's just these pumps need loads of power compared to a small powerhead.

On my inverter system the return last maximum 15 minutes, on the powerhead 2 hours.

Cost to upgrade R4000.00 and that will give my return pump another 1 hour usage.

So if budget ain't a issue, have the whole tank on an invertor system, for probably around R100K

i would recomend a 12v bilge pump, deep cycle battery, and battery charger, then u can have a return that runs for hours

get a vortech + battery back up .. hours run time on one battery if you prepared to spend some cash.. alternativley id go the airstone route as this could be bled off to various sections of the sump and tank with minimal power usage..

Back
Top Bottom