Montipora Help Please

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by MerlinT, 15 Aug 2012.

1. MerlinT

6 Dec 2010

Hey Guys
    Can someone please tell me if Montipora will grow if it is not stuck down. Also, will it die off if not stuck down as well. I had a couple frags on different ocassions which I did not stick down and they all lost colour and died. My water parameters are near nil with Nitrate and Phosphate. I mean I have other sps looking healthy and even my Plate Coral is spawning. So I cannot think it is water parameters unless Montipora is really really fussy. I have a 6 x 39w T5 Light Unit.
    Please advise.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Selwyn123

Selwyn123 BakGat

30 Sep 2011

hi there. in my experience with montipora, they have not died when not being stuck down, but then again, these were big frags, about half a CD size. If they keep dieng without being stuck down, try placing each small frag into a shot glass with some rubble in a low flow area. And then, to answer your other question, yes, montipora will encrust onto other surfaces without being stuck down but it takes a minimum of 2 weeks to be kept in the exact same place without being disturbed, for the coral to successfully encrust onto the surface. I hope everything comes right :)
  4. Kunhardt

21 Oct 2008

Shouldn't be a problem not being stuck down...don't think I have stuck any of mine down physically. What you should do if you aren't doing so is wedge it into a secure crevice in the rock work to keep it from moving around and in time it will encrust there and grow out.

As to why they are dying Like I said it could be they are getting bumped around by not being secure and that in turn is stressing the coral out? Monti's are not generally fussy corals and I would say your lighting is adequate to keep them. What other sps are you keeping and where are they situated in comparison to the monti's u try to grow out? It may be a positioning in the tank issue a the end of the day.
    Posted via Mobile Device
Recent Posts