MH or T5

I suppose these rules get thrown out the window when one wants to get involved with a nemmie? Are they tolerant to T5 or a MH a must?

Some anemones do very well under T5. The H. magnifica is NOT one of them. BTAs, LTAs, and H. crispa do well. Carpets can do well, but you need to be careful.

guy forgot to count create heat mh vs t5

Nope, 8*54 generates same heat as 2*250w. Will give same heat issues.
difference is that the heat is distributed across full length of T5 instead of only 2 spots directly under the MH. So heat is the same.

Anemones, also depend on type. Rose Bubble tip, under T5, deeper in the tank. Others must be placed up high close to the light, so 250W MH is better. forget about 150W MH.

Nope, 8*54 generates same heat as 2*250w. Will give same heat issues.
difference is that the heat is distributed across full length of T5 instead of only 2 spots directly under the MH. So heat is the same.

Anemones, also depend on type. Rose Bubble tip, under T5, deeper in the tank. Others must be placed up high close to the light, so 250W MH is better. forget about 150W MH.

i did have both mh and t5....my own opinion was big big different heat affect the water in summer time

Tagging and sitting at the edge of my seat!!!

Busy designing a new tank and almost done, only thing left to do is the lights!
I really want to get it right this time, but you guys has confused me so much now with the MH/T5 thing I'll have to put brakes and hang around to see the outcome!

Thanks for an awsome thread though!!!!!!!!!!!

I have on 400W MH over my 1M X 1M cube & the lighting works really well my SPS is growing with good colors what more can one want? I find the T5's just take up so much space.

That's exactly what I meant with the whole DIY think Mark... It's much simpler to just get a pendant light unit with either a combination of MH and T5's than it is to DIY them. While I think for most people, 400watt MH's are a little extreme, the application of one on a cube is certainly different! For a cube like yours, I'd also go with the 1 400watt MH, but on a rectangular tank, it makes it a little more tricky...

The heat issue shouldn't really be an issue in my opinion. Light's will create heat. It's up to the guy whose tank it is to sort that issue out for themselves... Add fans or a chiller. Problem solved.

Some of the light units really do look sexy. Those Aqua Medics are awesome, but far too pricey in my opinion. I got a perfect light unit with 2 x 150 watt halides, 2 x 54 watt T5's and 2 x moonlight LED's for a quarter of the price of an aquamedic unit... Sometimes it is about the budget too...

Although, I am interested in those Reef inmates units. They look solid and you can customize it to your hearts content...

The SUN

ok my 2c. best for coral growth in the words of anthony calfo(google him if u dont know him) 6400k to 10 000k

in the difference bet the mh and t5. with everything in life u get what u pay for. i know of someone who has a powermodule ati unit think its 8*54 and he has not changed bulbs in 18 months and his corals are growing like weeds(sps) granted the ati moduule is actively cooled and all bulbs have individual reflectors and ati bulbs cost much more then cheeper brands.

i think that with MH the shimmer effect is awesome and u get good growth as the par is high but with t5 u can add the types of bulbs that u want for the effect that u want to create.

also look at the types of bulbs u get like the ati and giessman blue and blue plus. u get the best of both the 6400k for growth and the 20000k for colour in one bulbe.

if u build ur own t5 unit with some knowledge ie:
dont put all ballast together and cool ballast down via fans, use individual reflectos and cool bulbs down. u will get long life from the bulbs. as well as great par. mx the bulbs i.e 2*8800,2*12k, 2*20k,2 actinic u will have an awesome light unit that will grow ur corals llikee weeds if all other para are in order. lets say that was an 8*54 unit it will = 432w of light now to get the same with MH u would need 2*250 already over 500w plus a few t5 for supplimentation lets say 2*54w actinic = 604w.

i ideally would love an led unit but the prices are waaaay out at the moment.

for interest sake i am going to be funning
2*giesmman blue +
2*osram 8800k
2*actinic
2*20k

in my reefinmates unit and will in a couple months time build my own unit with active cooling and indiv reflectors. but this would be 12+ months from now

ok my 2c. best for coral growth in the words of anthony calfo(google him if u dont know him) 6400k to 10 000k

in the difference bet the mh and t5. with everything in life u get what u pay for. i know of someone who has a powermodule ati unit think its 8*54 and he has not changed bulbs in 18 months and his corals are growing like weeds(sps) granted the ati moduule is actively cooled and all bulbs have individual reflectors and ati bulbs cost much more then cheeper brands.

i think that with MH the shimmer effect is awesome and u get good growth as the par is high but with t5 u can add the types of bulbs that u want for the effect that u want to create.

also look at the types of bulbs u get like the ati and giessman blue and blue plus. u get the best of both the 6400k for growth and the 20000k for colour in one bulbe.

if u build ur own t5 unit with some knowledge ie:
dont put all ballast together and cool ballast down via fans, use individual reflectos and cool bulbs down. u will get long life from the bulbs. as well as great par. mx the bulbs i.e 2*8800,2*12k, 2*20k,2 actinic u will have an awesome light unit that will grow ur corals llikee weeds if all other para are in order. lets say that was an 8*54 unit it will = 432w of light now to get the same with MH u would need 2*250 already over 500w plus a few t5 for supplimentation lets say 2*54w actinic = 604w.

i ideally would love an led unit but the prices are waaaay out at the moment.

for interest sake i am going to be funning
2*giesmman blue +
2*osram 8800k
2*actinic
2*20k

in my reefinmates unit and will in a couple months time build my own unit with active cooling and indiv reflectors. but this would be 12+ months from now

Nice info Ziyaad. My T5 light unit has 2 8800k bulbs, 2 20K bulbs and 2 actinics. Im adding another 2 20k soon

better how - I have many btas under different lights and from all my tanks they much prefer T5's I have a huge red thriving under 1x8k and 1xactinic T5? Have you tested your MH lighting's par vs T5's? I find most of my T5's give off better light as per my par readings.

Back
Top Bottom