Members list

Reaction score
Hi mods:

I was wondering why dont you guys create a fixed list of sorts so that everyone who is a member of this forum can log their detials eg. everyone from cpt together jhb ect.

Reason:

Say that my tank should burst now(touch wood)...... i dont know of any members near me(MosselBay) that could keep my LS incase of an emergance.

Also what clubs are where ect.

And maybe a section with all the guru details?eg. your nennie is sick,ask Brenda.
You want to know something about a tank design,ask Leslie.

This is just a thought!

And if you do decide to do this,maybe only make it availible for registered members for privacy perposes.

I kinda agree about list of members near me i can ask for help, also to offer help in other's emergencies, I have nightmares of my tank bursting :( would feel bad knowing the fish and corals that were 'taken' from the wild died in my hands when i could have done somthing

The idea in mind is great, however, I have found that it is one of the things I wanted to do when getting into MASA was to learn about the people close to me who I know I can trust if the shit hit the fan.

Given over a short time frame, it is best to find out through MASA who is close to you and establish a "private" communication with other fellow reefers outside of MASA. You will be surprised after some investigation how many reefers are close to you and you had no idea.

I was talking to a reefer for quite some time and was being advised often by this guy and he helped me get my tank into action right in the begining, only for me to find out that he lives less than 10min up the road. Many thanks is owed to Nemos Janitor, he offered to stop in and give me a hand when he picked up that I was struggeling as a newbie eager for a great reef tank but had no idea how to accomplish it.

Your fellow members are as close as your nearest COMPUTER or CELLPHONE! Ha Ha ... Great to know but in real life you can just pop over to someone face to face ..... Click on "Community" tab then "Members" then go to top right hand side of members and click on "search members" then to "advanced search" and choose your location ..... then PM the guys in your area and get together..... easy peasy!

Last edited:
Mods any coments?

Your fellow members are as close as your nearest COMPUTER or CELLPHONE! Ha Ha ... Great to know but in real life you can just pop over to someone face to face ..... Click on "Community" tab then "Members" then go to top right hand side of members and click on "search members" then to "advanced search" and choose your location ..... then PM the guys in your area and get together..... easy peasy!

Ive tried this but no luck.If you type in george it gives you all the members with the name george and not the location.

Or am i doing it wrong?

as Jd suggested, create a social group

Look I think there could be a lot of abuse of this list IF it were made in public domain for a number of reasons such as unwanted advertizing etc being sent directly to your e-mail or cell, so from that perspective that is prob not going to happen.

That being said i would encourage you to do the following.

go to the next reef club meeting and meet the people in your area.

Perhaps create a thread for your area, eg JHB east where members can join the thread and then have someone co-ordinate PM's so that there is a list of people you trust in your area with their contact details.

Build up a relationship with a trusted LFS

Lastly there is the masa Urgent help forum where you can post in an emergency.

Look i have been at this reefing thing for a while and if the shit hit the fan i have plenty of people i can call, ALL of whome i have met through MASA and MASA events .... join the clubs and ask ppl if you can pop in and see their tanks .... it is amazing what is out there and how much reefers will help reefers

I understand completely out of a privacy perspective!

Regarding local clubs..there arent any here.If we get enough members together maybe start our own club?

Will create a "local" tread.

And the closest trusted LFS is Frans and he is over 400km away.

But as Chikaboo said "help is only as far away as the closest cell or pc."

It started with the idea in mind of needing help if in the event of a tank burst and need to get help for someone to take your LS & fish...

You can't be the only one in your area who has a reef tank, surely...

Having advice at your fingertips as Chika suggested and having a person nearby is a little differrent, Chika is half way around the country relative to me but I know that at late hours of the night, most of the time I know I will find Chika online to help me. However I can't expect to rush my fish over quickly because there are a few hours drive between here and there. I have established friendships outside of MASA, however meeting the people through MASA and if there are problems, I know I have some people I can turn to as NeilH mentioned.

there are some precautions one can have for emergencies, i will start a thread on it

Ive tried this but no luck.If you type in george it gives you all the members with the name george and not the location.

Or am i doing it wrong?
You're doing it wrong :p Read Chika's post again, you need to fill in the location field. But this on it's own may not show up much due to the different ways people spell and describe their locations etc.

As JD said, you can create a social group (although I'm not 100% sure how all that works :p) or just start a normal thread asking for guys in your area and give it a bump every day. Get a couple of guys together, have a braai or something, it will start off slowly but will gain momentum if you keep it going regularly.

Back
Top Bottom