Mandarin's new marine WORX

That sounds fantastic Goby. I just wondered, because it seems that the YT is a wee bit on the thin side (at the stomach). It has been long since I had a YT, so I cannot remember - is this normal?

Hi all, yes i was so fed up with this red slime algea i could scream. Feeding was less for the last three to four weeks, was worried about the phos to boost the algea. At that time the kh was 3 but i'ts back to 8.2, now i'm begining to win the war and i think in the next two to three weeks it will be fine. Hell but reefing is not for sissies, best hobby in the world IMO, thanks for all the advise and reply's. :thumbup: HAPPY REEFING TILL NEXT TIME.mandarin:thumbup:

Awesome Manderin! Thanks for the explanation! Not that there's anything wrong with feeding slightly less. These fish are never FAT in nature either! It's just that I am so used to my tangs being pigs, and being as fat as can be.... ;) (I know - I overfeed - at least my tank/system can handle it!)

Looking good mandarin/goby

Those mushrooms arent Ricordeas, they are Rhodactis (elephant ear)

All your livestock looks great and I really dig your aquascaping!

Looking good mandarin/goby

Those mushrooms arent Ricordeas, they are Rhodactis (elephant ear)

All your livestock looks great and I really dig your aquascaping!

Thanks for the info = Other common names are Ricordea, and Disc Anemones, Mushrooms, Giant Cup, Elephant Ear, Hairy, Metalic, Fluorescent, Umbrella, Bubble, Warty, Forked Tentacle Mushroom Coral.
Family: Actinodiscidae. Genus: Rhodactis.

Yup,

but in general when people say Ricordea, they are referring to Ricordea Florida or Ricordea Yuma - Pimple Mushrooms

Red Slime Algea.

Hello to all the Reefers, man this red crap is coming back again, they are all over the show.
Every 2nd week i do a 50ltr water change, last Saturday i cleaned the tank, sump and whatever there was to be cleaned. The glass became light green in two days time. I only dose Brightwell 8.3 and calsium booster.
Feeding only twice a day and once a week Reef Snow.
All stock in the tank are healthy and eating like pigs.
Parameters
Temp - 26.1
Sg - 1.025
Alk - 9
Ph - 8.3
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 1
Ammonia - 0
Cal - 440
Phos - 0

Mandarin, Do you have a pic to show us the extend of the red slime - presume this is cyano?

found a few links you might want to read up on..
Hope you can solve this.. just do not loose hope.

http://www.athiel.com/lib3/redox.html
Cyano, Cyanos, Cyanobacteria, Blue-Green Algae, Algae, Red slime Algae, Slime Algae, Slime, Undesirable algae
Aquarium Cyanobacteria

I have noticed that I also have some cyano - but only in my sump... So I also have a question then on this.. should one be afraid of this spreading to the display?

Good day to all the reefers, need some help with my overflow system.The level is never the same in the overflow box and because of that i can't install my outo top off unit.The return pump was 2600l/h and replaced it with a 4000l/h, i thought the volume of water back to the DT was to low.From the overflow back to the sump i've got one 50mm pipe inside the box with a 25mm line going down that splits into two 25mm pipes, one going thru the phos cannister and the other direct in the skimmer chamber.I've reduced the 25mm to 15mm and then to 10mm to try and get a constant level but it does'nt seem to be working,i've even tried a control valve,now i'm back where i was.
At the moment i have to close the 50mm pipe inside the overflow box with a round piece of sponge ( get's blocked :(after a while) because the snoring of the water makes you crazy, power failures an even bigger nightmare,getting very gatvol.Any help or better design will be apreciated.(Pics in the thread might help.)

Hi Manderin - the best ways that I have found, to control the overflow/return/in-tank water levels, is to have 2 gate/ball-valves, in the following locations:
1) below your down-pipe coming from your overflow
2) one inline with your return pump piping/plumbing

In such a way you can "fine tune" your water levels, and water flow, between the tank and the sump, and back to the tank again (as well as the water level inside the tank)....

is your 50mm pipe inside the overflow box a durso? if not then build yourself one.
if you do have a durso then make the air holes larger, i had this non constant water level problem and it was due to not enouhtg air into top of durso.
my overflow part is super silent...

i suggest your auto top-up must go in the return pump chamber, least amount of water level fluctuations there

is your 50mm pipe inside the overflow box a durso? if not then build yourself one.
if you do have a durso then make the air holes larger, i had this non constant water level problem and it was due to not enouhtg air into top of durso.
my overflow part is super silent...

i suggest your auto top-up must go in the return pump chamber, least amount of water level fluctuations there

No i'ts not a durso, how do i go about to make one. The atu will be in the return chamber but the level at the moment fluctuating because of the overflow not right.

Thanks jacquesb will install, never thought of that.

Now that is something i have always wanted.
Since i watched finding Nemo.
Just love it when they host in an anemone !!

Don't stress bud. You'll have your monster up and running sometime soon...(I hope)

@ Mandarin, awesome tank! Well done.

Thanks Pope G, this nennie is stunning and it's not fully open. I took this pics about half an hour after lights on this morning. Will take some pics when fully open, it's about 50cm across, and let me tell you the Nemo's have there hands ( fins ) full to keep the other fish away. My Tomato clown tried to get in but gave up at the end, now his hosting in one of my Elephant ears because the Hermits also took over his previous spot.
The Nennie was always moving around but some good guys on MASA told me to put it higher up in the tank nearer to the lights and from then on he's staying and very happy.

Back
Top Bottom