Magnesium Chloride + epsom salt Mg mix

Hi Jacquesb

I do weekly water changes of about 20%, How much do you chuck in?

10 - 20% water changes per week ...Thats sounds like a very healthy system...its unlikely that you would need to dose magnesium at all.

A good water changing regime.

Thats sounds like a very healthy system...its unlikely that you would need to dose magnesium at all.

I had a look last night, currently I'm using Instant Ocean Salt and it contains magnesium. So I would think that with the weekly water changes I would not need to dose additional Magnesium. Any comments.

according to Randy Holmes-Farley the combination should be 5 magnesium chloride cups and 3 magnesium sulphate

"Dissolve Epsom salts (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate sold by the Dead Sea Works company (5 cups) in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume. There will likely be a precipitate that forms even if you fully dissolve both ingredients separately. That precipitate is calcium sulfate (calcium as an impurity in the magnesium chloride and sulfate from the Epsom salts). It is fine and appropriate to dose the precipitate along with the remainder of the fluid by shaking it up before dosing.
This solution is added much less frequently than the other two parts. Each time you finish adding a gallon of both parts of Recipe #1, add 610 mL (2 ½ cups) of this stock solution. You can add it all at once or over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium's size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I suggest adding it slowly.
The first time it's added, I recommend adding just a small portion and making sure there isn't any problem (such as corals closing up due to stress) before adding the remainder. Make sure corals and other organisms don't get blasted with locally high concentrations of the main ingredients or impurities, or else they may become stressed. This solution contains about 47,000 ppm magnesium, 70,000 ppm sulfate and 86,000 ppm chloride."

full link is here http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

It seems quite a reasonable deduction, Boendoe.... does it state how much magnesium the salt contains, per x amount of grams/or litres?

I had a look last night, currently I'm using Instant Ocean Salt and it contains magnesium. So I would think that with the weekly water changes I would not need to dose additional Magnesium. Any comments.

Highly unlikely:)

I tested and found Magnesium sitting at 900. So I added 180 grams Magnesium chloride and 90 grams epson salt. 3 hrs later tested and it was up to 1150.

I have not checked Ammonia the last spike I had, must have been 8 weeks ago. Should I be checking Ammonia ?

If you dose large qty of magnesium it will cause the Ammonia to rise. Best to dose small qty at a time and keep an eye on ammonia.

I will have a look tonight. Still need to a just MG a bit more.

What do you reckon is large amounts ? If you say small amounts over what time period ?
Last one how long before you test, to see what gained ?

Best to lift magnesium by about 50 - 75 ppm per day. To lift from 900 to 1150 in one go is not good. You may have experanced ammonia.

I normaly wait about 1/2 hour before testing.

Back
Top Bottom